Looking for 66 Charger Mods, Aftermarket Support & Forum - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 09:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Looking for 66 Charger Mods, Aftermarket Support & Forum

Howdy, I'm considering a 66 Charger for a stable mate to my 57 BelAir. I'm having a hard time finding a good Mopar forum and also some place to research that model of car for performance upgrades, basic weaknesses...you know the basic education before plunking down some green on a model of car you have never owned. I don't have anything lined up just yet so I'd like to prepare myself to make an educated decision before becoming all fired up over that killer charger for sale in the next town over.
Can anyone help a car guy out?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2007, 10:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Try

Moparts.com
Mopar Style

for starters.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

There is so many options availible today for mods on a charger you can go pro touring route, street strip,pro street and the list keeps going.

for engines the sky the limit small blocks can be stroked out to over 440cid and big blocks on a buget out to 543cid and if buget isn't much of a concern then you can go out to 655cid useing Indy block and heads.

The mopar hobby has completly changed there are more parts availible than ever if you want you can build a hemi clone with all new parts.

I myself am putting together a 528cid engine for a 73 charger show/race for street nights at strip.

some sources I used
- 440 source stroker kit
- mancinni racing
- year one
-the paddock
- magnum force tubular k-members,brakes,fuel systems and so on
theres a good mopar chat its
http://www.moparchat.com/forums/usercp.php
Old 12-11-2007, 12:21 AM

Last photo:

The engine Im building should be about 600hp and well over 600 ft tq not sure yet just est I got from a mopar chat.

what size motor is in it now??

heres some thing I forgot to mention

weak areas on mopars in 66

- points ign easy to cure install electronic ign kit about $200 comes with dist,control box,ballast resister and harness.

- make sure you ck the frt frame particularly around were the torsion bars attach to the frame look for cracks and rot this can also be fix there a company that makes a safety cap for this area.

-the heads have smaller exhaust valves and no hardened seats for unleaded use. easy to fix heads 70 on with 452 are great heads,have larger valves and harden seats install or after market heads I bought a set of Edelbrock heads with valves and springs for $1395.

good points of 66
-high compression
-great interior design
-heads have great potential with the right mods because of the closed chamber design.
-more than likely will have a 8 3/4 rear
-the 4 speeds were real strong
-727 t-flite trans are nearly indestructible if built right and most often will out perform a 4 speed car with the same engine

for more specs and ideas ch out my posts

well good luck.

bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home 028.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	26085   Click image for larger version

Name:	home 030.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	26086   Click image for larger version

Name:	home 003.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	26087   Click image for larger version

Name:	home 006.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	26088   Click image for larger version

Name:	home 004.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	26089  

Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 AM

Last photo:

Good stuff so far guys, thanks! I hadn't thought about the unleaded fuel issue. Anyone aware of a good mopar forum where you can pick up those little odd peculiarities like how much it costs to repair those pesky luminescent gauge illuminators?
I'm hoping to find a solid 66 with a 383 or 440, with the full length center console and a 4spd. and a suregrip 8.75. I'd lean towards pro touring as my 57 BelAir is pretty much a pro streeter. I'd be interested in upgrading the suspension, brakes, steering box, add sub frame connectors or a front cradle/clip if there was something reasonable to graft on. I'd probably do a spring pocket kit so I can run some meats out back. My initial urges are to dechrome it, slam it, tint the windows, paint her dark and make one evil nasty road burner out of her.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Also, see this list of hotrodding forums, there is a Mopar category: Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

My dad has a '66 Charger. 383 4bbl/ 727 automatic w/ the suregrip. in the beginning stages of a body on restoration ( was restored in 80's so it don't need anything more ).. The B body has many upgrades in suspension that can be used on the '66-'69 B bodys.. Mopar sells a quick ratio steering box, that is new and replaces original, theres sway bar kits, disc brake kits, ect... Headders are available but due to some diffrences w/ the '66/'67 Charger B body, you need special headders, regular B body headders won't fit w/o modification.

Weaknesses are what made it popular when it was new.. the full length tail light, is prone to cracking and breaking and they cost around $400 for a good 1.
the gauges are what is known as Electroluminescent, they pass a low amp high voltage current ( 200 volts ) through a special surface, that when current flowed, the surface would light up green... problem is, the Starter coil for that system were known to fail when new and also, the capicitors used in the gauges were made of paper... cost range to fix them is between $1,500 and $2,000 for gauge restoration...

all '66/'67 Chargers had 4 bucket seats and a full length console.. 4spd conversions are well described on many '66-'67 specific sites. there great cars, only just over 39k were made in '66 and just over 18k in '67
Old 12-11-2007, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

I've owned a 67 Correnett 500 (hand me down at age 15) which I beat the snot out of...bought a 69 Charger RT 440 at age 19 and was not capable of fixing all the electrical problems and multiple fluid leaks. Besides my 74 Trans Am was faster! Anyway, about 10 years ago driving home one summer night a 66 Charger passed me up and there were 2 things that caught my eye, the blue/green dash lights and that mile wide tail light. It was low, long and had a fast back that went on forever. So, like you mentioned, its weaknesses are its attractions.
I was pleasantly surprised recently when I randomly decided to check some prices. They are surprisingly inexpensive even with last few years steep rise in mopar values. I figure if I want one now is the time to buy. But holding out for a car with working dash lights is much more important than I though. I figured the tail light was gonna be the financial pit!
Old 12-12-2007, 02:51 AM
Artful Dodger

Last journal entry: From behind
Last photo:

www.dodgeforum.com

You'll find everything you need there.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevinpointsixtoone
I've owned a 67 Correnett 500 (hand me down at age 15) which I beat the snot out of...bought a 69 Charger RT 440 at age 19 and was not capable of fixing all the electrical problems and multiple fluid leaks. Besides my 74 Trans Am was faster! Anyway, about 10 years ago driving home one summer night a 66 Charger passed me up and there were 2 things that caught my eye, the blue/green dash lights and that mile wide tail light. It was low, long and had a fast back that went on forever. So, like you mentioned, its weaknesses are its attractions.
I was pleasantly surprised recently when I randomly decided to check some prices. They are surprisingly inexpensive even with last few years steep rise in mopar values. I figure if I want one now is the time to buy. But holding out for a car with working dash lights is much more important than I though. I figured the tail light was gonna be the financial pit!
Nope, my dads has a mint tail light panal, but the gauges are crap... after 40 years, problematic dash light starters from the getgo and paper capicitors for the electronic side of it.. expect to have them repaired.. there are several companys, just search them. here's 1 of them. specific to the '66-'67 Charger
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1002/dash.html.

expect to pay between 6-16k for somthing worth restoring.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

I'm gonna look at 66 318 4BBL 727 PS running, missing front grill, head lamps and windshield. NV car so body should not be very rusty. I'll find out. Has gauges (and all interior) but don't know condition. I can get her for $300. Might be my first parts car.....we'll see.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:20 PM

Last photo:

Hey someone said just a 318 4 BBL intake is worth like $600-$800...is this BS or what?
Old 12-12-2007, 07:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

It's BS. Look Here and that's new. If you want to save some bucks then Look Here.

Last edited by Centerline; 12-12-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevinpointsixtoone
I'm gonna look at 66 318 4BBL 727 PS running, missing front grill, head lamps and windshield. NV car so body should not be very rusty. I'll find out. Has gauges (and all interior) but don't know condition. I can get her for $300. Might be my first parts car.....we'll see.
yea, pick it up as a parts car. headlights & headlight motor, grill. those parts are $$$ to replace. $300 is a steal anyway.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:43 PM

Last photo:

The education has begun....excuse my ignorance. The 4BBL manifold is supposed to be a "poly". I found 2 casting numbers to try and match but I figure if the valve covers are held on by 2 bolts on the ends of the valve covers its a true poly engine. I found one 4bbl intake on ebay for $295. What do you think this engine may be worth? Or is it the intake thats worth something and the rest is just like any other running old Mopar small block?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.