Looking to build an engine this summer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2004, 06:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Looking to build an engine this summer

Well im looking to build an engine to keep me busy this summer. what I want to know is what does everyone suggest to get what I want. What I want is

Not too much $$ on total build
A good # on horse and torque
Something that could handle a super/turbo charger or nitrous

Basically I want something that I could build with summer job salary that has alot of power.

Just tell me what you guys think I should build.
Thanks in advance
Joe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2004, 07:11 PM

Last photo:

Being a proud owner of a 283, it pains me greatly to suggest a 350. They are everywhere, hop up parts abound, and they can be built on a modest budget. They have the balance of torque and HP that you are looking for. There are TONS of books on hopping up the 350, such as the one by the late great John Lingenfelter.

Or, save your $$$$$$ through the summer, buy a GM crate engine short block, and hop that up. You'll most likely be money ahead doing that unless you have access to a machine shop that wil let you do your own work and have the talent.

Just my little old opinion. Either way, good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. Ive already built a 350 but it wasnt for power it was just a rebuild I just finished for school in my Power Mechanics class. It was actually pretty easy but I was looking into big block for my next but still ive only built one engine so what you guys tell me will most likely greatly affect my decision on what to build.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

I'm sorry...i didn't get what Make you are looking for.??? Chevy, Ford, Olds,...? And what can you get your hands on. And what is it going in?
Old 06-11-2004, 08:29 PM

well im not sure on what im putting it in yet but since ill be building it for power ill be looking at the muscle car era of cars. So right now im just looking for the engine idea then ill worry about what i can fit it into.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Jms8800
Thanks for the reply. Ive already built a 350 but it wasnt for power it was just a rebuild I just finished for school in my Power Mechanics class......
Well, why not hop the snot out of that? Your machine work should be done. Make it a 383 stroker, port and polish the heads, add a big old nasty cam, lower the compression a bit and hit it with the juice!

Properly done, a 383 will hold its own with the big blocks. Of course you won't be able to have the "woo factor" of owning a big block, but so what?
Old 06-11-2004, 09:13 PM

Well see the 350 i rebuilt is my brothers so really I can only help him build it up but i cant keep it..which is no fun. Thats why I want to rebuild another like I had so much fun rebuilding it and when i first started it i think my heart skipped a beat....im hooked on cars forever! And also i like the woo hoo factor and also it is only a two bolt main and not that i would be building that much power anytime soon i wiould like to know i could if i wanted to.

hey i have a question are mexican blocks better?? A friend of mine who helped me build the 350 just bought one and he says they are stronger or thicker cyl walls or something i cant really remember but he hasnt shut up with his HECHO EN MEXICO!! speech since he bought it. and also on the side of the 350 block there was a .010 on it...that means it was made with more nickel and its stronger...right?

Last edited by Jms8800; 06-11-2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:51 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Well the .010 does mean it has a 10% nickle content, and is stronger, but the machining work doen to the Mexico blocks is a hit or miss quality.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

I think you should build a 302 Ford Mustang. Theyre everywhere and parts are cheap.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:16 PM

Last photo:

Since you have no commitment to a car yet,I say comb the junkyard for the best running bigblock anything that you can find.I am partial to GM,and I can tell you one good reason to look for a big GM motor,and that is that every GM rear drive car pretty much fits every GM engine.The excpetion might be the 3rd and 4th gen camaros,but that is about it.If you find a 455 buick,olds or pontiac,it will fit any A/G body mid size car,and the Olds and Pontiacs will bolt right into a 2nd gen Fbody.A 454 chevy can be stabbed into just about anything GM makes,but again the 3rd gen F cars are a bit tough.Go big so that you can keep it mild.Another up side to bigblocks is that they gobble up nitrous like there is no tommorrow,so a 150 shot wont even begin to burden any reasonably fresh bigblock.
Now of course you could look for a truck 460 ford and stab it into a fox body car like a mustang or fairmount,bot of which are cheap.
I really have a soft spot for 440 mopars,but there is nothing light and cheap with the correct drive wheels in the Mopar offerings,but if I had to lowbuck it,a mid 70's dart{Duster clone},is about as cheap and light as they get.You could do a later Volare which isnt too bad looking either.
If you want to have a ton of fun with junkyard stuff,look for a mid 80's cutlass,and try and round up a 442 rear{3.73's in an 8.5"}.Swap in a warmed over 455 and a built th350 trans with a saturday night special convertor.Add a 125 shot to it and some dual exhaust,and it should be about as fast and as cheap as you will ever get,and it wont be all that radical either.This combo is a no brainer 12 second combo even without the nitrous.
A rebuilt stock 455 smog shortblock,some bowl blended and 3 angled stock smog heads,a 280ish jet boat type cam,a torker intake a 750 carb and 1 3/4" headers and a well tuned HEI setup will get you plenty of power for not much cost,and a 125 shot will make it just plain scary.Good luck,and remember to "super size"it.

BTW,if you live in Jersey,the junkyard I shop at just got in a mid 80's 442 with the 8/5" rear in it and a bucket seat interior,it has a fair body{some rust but no major dents},and a blown trans,and they want $1200 for it.Keep that in mind.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Jms8800
and also it is only a two bolt main
I've heard that there really isn't that much difference in what a 2 bolt main and a 4 bolt main can hold. Can anyone put some insight into that?

Oh yeah, build a chevy. I'd say 383 stroker, but that can get expensive quick if you don't plan well, (as i've found out recently). But 350s are solid, powerful, and there are so many ways and places to get parts that you'll be able to build one the cheapest of any thing else. Also, if you can afford it, use some AFR 195cc heads, $1195 at www.stokermotor.com They are awesome, i just installed a set on by friends car i was helping/building for him, made a big power increase, we didn't change anything else. have fun!

Will
Old 06-12-2004, 06:06 PM

Thanks for all the input. I think Ill look for a 454. I was wondering though what is a stall converter?

is it just a different kind od torque converter?

Last edited by Jms8800; 06-12-2004 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:17 PM

This is great i actualy getta help somone instead of just receiving! ok a Stall Converter is a normal converter besides the fact a normal converter in a car is probably around 900rpm and in a truck is probably around 1200rpm but a stall converter can go very high for example the one im putting in my truck is 3000rpm what all this means is your motor has to be reved this high otherwise the converter {slips} causing you to be idleing basically it lets you rev up then stomp the gas comn off the line simeler to a manual transmision so you can start at 3000rpm or w/e you buy yours to be becareful though if you go to high your intown ride WILL be horible not that i care or anything the more power the better to smash the ricers with of course =-)
Old 06-12-2004, 09:08 PM

o ok i get it! thanks Aces0vr8s. And i dont like ricers either...but who does...lol
Old 06-13-2004, 04:07 PM

i know this question is one that is asked often but if i go with a 454 should i go with nitrous or just wait and save up alittle for a blower?? also if i do go with a blower how much boost could i run on it safely?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.