Looking to buy a 1967 Sport Fury; Anything I should look for? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 06:39 PM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Looking to buy a 1967 Sport Fury; Anything I should look for?

I am very close to closing the deal on a 1967 Plymouth Sport Fury w/ a 318 Automatic. I am trying to purchase this vehicle over a very long distance. The seller has been very honest and has disclosed a lot of issues with the vehicle. I'm posting some pics of the car, and I would like honest constructive opinions. The owner has told me that the rear quarters have an "inch of bondo in the rear". He also stated that the trunk is very rusted and has holes. The owner also revealed that the paint job is a "rolled on" job. I'm only worried about the body for the most part. I can handle the interior and drivetrain. My body man says that the sheet metal is gonna be hard to find and that I should pass on it. I just can't get this car out of my mind. I'm a closet big body mopar fan

I have confirmed through the numbers on the engine, vin, and body that the car has the original drivetrain and is in fact a sport fury. Generally speaking I am very pleased with the car. My only concern is that there might be a deeper/darker evil lurking in the car and I am not familar enough with them to ask the seller about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0625.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	62728   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0648.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	62729   Click image for larger version

Name:	plymouth1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	62730  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 074.jpg (127.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 042.jpg (115.6 KB, 31 views)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 06:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Fury's are on the low end of the totem pole as far as popularity, parts are very hard to come by and a 318/ Auto is not going to be very demanding, but interior looks ok which is good. If he is the one who did the shoddy work, walk away, if he just knows of the issues from an inspection, then I wouldn't give much. probably 1/2- 3/4 of book value
Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Have a real good look at the frame sections of the unibody, especially the torsion bar mounts.....Known to rust
Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

I am not going to pay full book value. Im going to pay a little less than 3/4 book value. Im almost 90% percent confident in completing the purchase.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Have a real good look at the frame sections of the unibody, especially the torsion bar mounts.....Known to rust
Thanks Poncho
Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I like those cars when they were 5 years old and I was 15.

That one looks like it's been "rednecked" a bit by someone who really wanted a 68 Dart. The headlight switch is a real beauty, too.

A 318 / A727 is usually a pretty dependable drivetrain ... but don't expect it to be a tire-fryer.

I actually had a '72 model, and it was easily the most dependable car that I owned during that time of my life. I traded it off for a '67 Merc LeMoyne (that's LeMoyne not LeMon ... LOL) with a 390 4 bbl. That one had the largest gas tank I ever had to fill.

Anyway ... If you like it, and perhaps know where you can find a "parts car" ... buy it and have some fun with it.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Moose2

Last photo:

I'm from Minnesota and NOTHING rusted up faster than Mopar in these-here parts (not even the old Fords I've been addicted to). I agree that you'd have to look critically at the frame for deep rot. Unless this car spent its life in the desert SW it may have considerable issues and I'd personally be very hesitant to get into a deal like you're describing sight-unseen. There simply is no substitute for crawling around underneath it with a strong light and eyeballing it. If you don't you are likely to find that all of your surprises are the negative kind...........
Old 02-07-2012, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

Mopar

I like mopars, but I will agree with Moose, they do rust. I had a station wagon I used for hunting, living here in MN the land of salt in the winter, the bottom of that car looked like a rust bucket. Good car but it just rusted and I would wash it all the time underneath.

I don't know how far it is but I would go look at it, Or you can find someone that is close to look at it, if they are willing.

I got a truck for Wretched Ratchet, I went and looked at it, took 100 pictures of it looked it over found what I thought was wrong with it, sent him the pictures, then he called me and we talked about them. He got the truck, I went and got it, then we had a shipper come and get it from me.

Bob
Old 02-07-2012, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the input. I ended getting a friend to check it out for me. He took some pics and sent them to me. I shared them with my body man and he screamed RUN AWAY. With much hesitation I have decided to pass. Im having a hard time letting it go. I've always loved that body style; mostly the view of the dash and long hood from inside the car. My brother and father had a few furys and I always thought they were so cool.

Anyways, I appreciates every ones input. I've saved myself a few thousands of dollars and the heartache of an agonizing project. Ill keep my eyes peeled for another. There are 2 more within the same distance.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Moose2

Last photo:

No problem Bert; It sounds like you still have a couple of options to look at and I hope you find that ****** Fury of your dreams. Regarding the one you decided to pass on, I've found that nothing can screw up my logic like falling in love with the damn thing before you ever lay eyes on it!!! Love is blind, especially when it comes to old cars...........
Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Moose2

Last photo:

ooops I just got edited! Sorry everybody!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.