looking at a camaro, need advice. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 10:20 AM

Last journal entry: Getting all the parts together for my LTX build
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

looking at a camaro, need advice.

Found a 1991 camaro rs, owner is asking 4000. Has the following stuff done to it.

383 sbc (6k miles on motor)
Flat top pistons,
882 heads
Lunati cam ( pretty radical )
Wieand tunnel ram w/ dual 525 holleys (power valves blocked)
Complete magnaflow exhaust (header back)
New clutch, all fluids changed (has reciepts that matched vin)
3.73 with eaton posi (has reciepts at aamco trans.)

Downs,
Trans whines in and out of gear.
Car hums at about 55 and on (thinking maybe allignment)
7 inches of motor sticking through hood (counting hood scoop)
Headliner starting to seperate by t tops
Some plastic interior pieces damaged
Spedo inop.
No ac (texas is hot)

What would everyone think about this car as far as price and the problems. Just need some advice, will be a weekend/ track car, not daily driven. Has slips proving 12.1 @ 114.xxmph.

Thanks everyone,
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

camino

buy it and bring up to Tennessee and I will be happy to make it whole.I had three or so Ellys and I love em .at your age you got plenty of time to fix it up.Let me say that of the over 160 rods I ever had I loved my rods no matter what or how much or what the sacrifice.Your oh so young.You want to drag sounds good street,sounds great.Thats only advice and you do what you will.Have the bread? Go for a better deal,cash talks.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

I have the cash for it just not sure if I've checked and asked about everything. Trying to see if anyone had advice on anything else to check or ask about. Thanks for the reply though. Still working on the tear down of the studebaker, but wanting something til I can finish that up (many many years from now by the looks of it)

Eric
Old 08-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

"Headliner starting to seperate by t tops"

That would be my concern.....Is the body solid?....Twisted from racing?

"T" top bodies are not as strong as solid tops

Budget RVs
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If it were my decision I would not buy the car. The hood has been cut and you'll need a new one if you don't want to run a ram setup. The cam and intake aren't supported by the heads at all, so you'll need to tear that all apart and put a decent set of heads on there. You already know you need a trans or to pull that apart.

Its cool that the car has a built motor but IMO it was built incorrectly, so you have a 91 camaro that in stock format in that condition is probably worth about a grand. Sounds like it needs work to the body (probably), interior, motor, trans and other parts.

You can find a much better condition 3rd gen camaro for 4 grand or less and build the motor and other items correctly. This sounds like a cobbled together project needing a lot of money and work. My guess is you'll be another 4 grand into it before its right-

K
Old 08-08-2010, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

the headliner is just seperating (adhesive is worn).

The body is in decent shape, at least from what I can tell, all pieces are present and in decent shape, car was recently repainted black. The hood is cut and that is a major thing for me, a buddy from work has a 90 or 91 firebird that he is parting out so the hood is a easy fix, he wants 150 for a 6 inch cowl hood. The carbs/aircleaner is only 4 and 3/4 inches tall. Cylinder heads is a concern but not a massive on at the moment (heading back to iraq within the next 6 months) so a easy fix along with some other stuff when I get back or possibly sooner.

The body isn't twisted from what I can tell, the doors open smothly, gaps apear correct throughout the entire car. Transmission isn't really a massive concern either, I could tear it appart one weekend and if it has to sit a bit its ok.

Finally divorsed so I have my own house to myself, 2 car garage, mazda 3, durango, studebaker in the tear down process. I have some parrtls laying around I could use on the camaro if need be (studebaker was going to be a sbc, mid way through the build I swapped paths and went to a bbc, have a 383 short block on a stand, afr heads on the shelf.

Thank you much for the replies though,
Eric
Old 10-12-2010, 12:45 PM

Last journal entry: ok im on to my next big dream beast
Last photo:

hey brother check it out im just gonna throw my opinion out their but it sounds like you found a nice car i am a camaro fan myself owning two of them i am not a fan of that particular body style but honestly for the 4 thousand dollars and the fact that it will only be sitting when you go to iraq it dosent seem worth it heres what i did

i deployed 9 months ago and have been looking for a nice 2nd gen camaro for a project car i had someone reliable with truck and trailer on standby but i had a year to find something really nice and not just nice at the moment patience is virtue i think and i ended up with a 78 running driving camaro needs interior work and a wheel bearing to be daily driven for 2g i think i overpaid a lil and then i found my 79 and i paid 4g for it and it has nothing wrong with it other than the last owner didnt finish putting it back together after dumping over 7g into it heres a pic

i would just hate to see you get this car and find a better one in 3 months for the same price my .02c

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.