Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - looking for a Dodge
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
I have driven odd ball cars my entire life, never had to rebuild the motor on the side of the road. Honestly, if it's maintained you are good to go. Or have that water pump and a fuel pump in a box under the seat.

Let's face it, are we going to have the tools to change the water pump with us? If so, put a water pump in the tool box.

It's all in what are the expectations of the owner, I understand that. We are all different. It's like when I went looking for a new Mini Van for my wife (new-used) we had one with rear air and a long wheel base. I found a real nice one without the rear air and a short wheelbase. I thought for a minute, "how many times did we NEED that rear air"? A couple of trips a year it made a difference, a small difference. How many times did we NEED that longer body, two or three times the 10 years we owned it! So I chose to get the shorter, rear airless van. My wife immediately noticed how nice it got around parking lots and the tighter turning radius which was welcome in 99.99% of the driving we did! So instead of buying something for the 1% I chose the van that was real nice and ended up with something much better for the 99% of what it will do for us by mistake!

My Rambler, I drive it every single day and on short trips out of town to car shows. That is all I want out of it right now. There is no reason what so ever for changing anything. I have extra parts at home and that is where it will go if I were to break down. No, I don't want to drive it on a thousand mile trip but that is more about the low gearing it has. But with a few changes like an overdrive or a T-5 late model tranny and I could go anywhere and wouldn't hesitate. But right now, my expectations are exactly what I am doing, a daily driver around town.

I always like to point out, a hell of a lot of these cars were driving across country 50 years ago, they must have been "ok" for it.

I am not disagreeing with your Frank, just the other side of the story that's all. I CAN see both sides, I just so much rather have the original frame under it, me personally and I am just tossing out the options to others to think about it so they don't end up doing something that really wasn't their true love.

Brian