Looking for an electric cut-off tool that's better than a Dremel. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 03:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have used many different brands of cut off disc in a 4 1/2" grinder working as a Union Pipefitter.
The Walter Zip or Zip + is hands down the best cut off disc I have used.

They are directional,so mount them with the arrow pointing in the direction of ratation and they even last longer than is incorrectly installed, LOL.
$3.25 a disc but worth every penny.

If you do a lot of cutting, get a larger guard for your grinder and use the 6 inch discs, you will get a lot more feet of cut per dollar spent.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 11:28 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I use small 3" wheels in my battery powered DeWalt DC550B cutoff tool. I also use rotary files in it to open up holes. The DeWalt is really a handy tool for quick work and no cord to drag out. The 550B uses either 1/4" or 1/8" collets, so it's versatile and easy to use.
I have a Foredom K.2272 tool with a 4' flexible drive to use with small wheels like a Dremel, but it has more power and the flexible shat allows me to get into really tight places and leave the drive motor out of the working area. I usually keep it hanging above my work bench with the drive cable down to keep it handy, and it gets more bench use than portable use, but when I need something really small it's the best. They're about $330 now, but well worth every penny.
http://www.foredom.net/k2272.aspx
Old 02-07-2012, 12:27 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

has anyone seen a 4" angle grinder thats cordless..
sometimes the cordless sawsall is just not the ticket at the junkyard crawl..
Old 02-07-2012, 05:00 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626
has anyone seen a 4" angle grinder thats cordless..
sometimes the cordless sawsall is just not the ticket at the junkyard crawl..
Yes, DeWalt makes the DC411 cordless 18v angle grinder.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:10 PM

Last journal entry: How I repaired '51 door hinges

I have a Milwaukee die grinder (electric) and not the one shown in post #6. Mine is smaller and less expensive. About $130.00. With a toggle switch (don't like the paddle switch), about 20,000 RPM. I use 3&4" x .035. I can easily fallow a scribed line.

Silicone caulk has it's place, but not every place.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

This is probably beyond the scope of the conversation, but I'm getting ready to cut several 4" strips of the 38" wide X 5 rib steel roofing to cure a contractors mistake (he laid the roof panels too high, causing rain to run down the inside wall of my $50K building). I plan on using a 10" abrasive metal blade on either my Table Saw or Radial Arm Saw to do the cutting. I've tried cutting this stuff with smaller (7" Dia X 1/4" thick) blades, and it seemingly took all day just to make one cut! With 60' of material needed to fix the roof, and winter coming on, I want to get it done quickly! the blade I intend to use is 10" X1/8" for $4.79 @ Lowes.

And Yes, I'm going to move the saw outside, wear my welding helmet, a fireman's bunker coat, Welding gloves, combat boots; have a garden hose, and 2 fire extinguishers (type A & Type BC) and an air pack available, with my guardian angel on a 1/2 second response time status, I think I should be able to handle the task.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Trooper
This is probably beyond the scope of the conversation, but I'm getting ready to cut several 4" strips of the 38" wide X 5 rib steel roofing to cure a contractors mistake (he laid the roof panels too high, causing rain to run down the inside wall of my $50K building). I plan on using a 10" abrasive metal blade on either my Table Saw or Radial Arm Saw to do the cutting. I've tried cutting this stuff with smaller (7" Dia X 1/4" thick) blades, and it seemingly took all day just to make one cut! With 60' of material needed to fix the roof, and winter coming on, I want to get it done quickly! the blade I intend to use is 10" X1/8" for $4.79 @ Lowes.

And Yes, I'm going to move the saw outside, wear my welding helmet, a fireman's bunker coat, Welding gloves, combat boots; have a garden hose, and 2 fire extinguishers (type A & Type BC) and an air pack available, with my guardian angel on a 1/2 second response time status, I think I should be able to handle the task.
Aren't you the least bit worried about running the electric tablesaw outside in the proverbial rain storm ? You should at least wear 20K volt linemans rubber gloves inside the wedling gloves, a full wetsuit with booties, and even think about a gfi adapter on the cord. That is the minimium, you could go the extra steps and be safe if you don't want to live on the edge
Old 02-09-2012, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool
Aren't you the least bit worried about running the electric tablesaw outside in the proverbial rain storm ? You should at least wear 20K volt linemans rubber gloves inside the wedling gloves, a full wetsuit with booties, and even think about a gfi adapter on the cord. That is the minimium, you could go the extra steps and be safe if you don't want to live on the edge
Not in the least bit, I was in the Navy and I once saw my Mother-in-Law naked; Nothing can shock me now!!
Old 02-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

These are expensive, but you get what you pay for:

http://www.heavydutystore.com/walter...-pr-63806.html
Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 AM

Last photo:

this thread is funny, but like everyone else said, safety first! I wear a hat and safety glasses even with a face shield.

I use a 3" cutoff air tool for smaller things, I mainly use 4.5" harbor freight grinders with good wheels. the hf wheels shatter and explode regularly where the good ones actually wear out over time. I also have a 7" hf grinder that I use to knock down frame welds, thick material shaping, edge bevels, etc. to save wear on the 4.5" thats usually set up with a cutting disc anyway. the only good thing about the hf grinders, the hf store is only 2 miles from my shop.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.