Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Looking for an electric cut-off tool that's better than a Dremel. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/looking-electric-cut-off-tool-thats-better-than-dremel-213146.html)

rajsid 01-23-2012 07:17 PM

Looking for an electric cut-off tool that's better than a Dremel.

Hi guys,
I am looking for an electric cut-off tool that's better than a Dremel. I am losing my patience cutting metal with the Dremel tiny cut-off wheels that breaks off in no time :)

Does anyone have recommendations for a good electric cut off tool?

matts37chev 01-23-2012 07:28 PM

I use a 4 1/2" electric grinder with a cut-off wheel for most stuff
works better than my air cut-offs

406 bug 01-23-2012 10:05 PM

As Matt advised. Harbor freight has a angle grinder they sell for around 15 bucks (chicago electric) thats hard to beat. Use Norton cut off blade #15280 4"x .040x 5/8 - available at Home Depot 2 bucks each.

geezer69 01-23-2012 10:13 PM

and you can buy thin cuttin discs for em too.very good tool for cuttin.

rajsid 01-23-2012 11:39 PM

Thanks guys :thumbup:

jsaw 01-24-2012 08:15 PM

Mine

3 Attachment(s)
I have a Milwaukee that Ihave used for 20 years

garyroushkolb 01-25-2012 05:08 PM

Dremels are just too delicate for most car work that I do. Air cutoffs vary on performance also. Buy a eBay snapon it's well worth the extra money. I agree on the milwaukee or makita 1/4 die grinder are the best.

S10 Racer 01-25-2012 05:41 PM

It depends on what you are doing with it. If you need to use small wheels to get into tight places, use a die grinder with a mandrel & cutoff wheel. As far as normal cutting Metabo is the best IMHO. They are actually designed for a cutoff wheel. If you put a cutoff wheel on a normal 4-1/2" grinder and during the cut, the blade gets bound up, it can kick back violently. Metabo's use a special designed nut that has like a rubber O-Ring that when tightened actually holds the cutoff blade tight but allows the blade to slip if it gets bound up. Alot safer. As with any of these, always wear good gloves, long sleeves and a face shield.

garyroushkolb 01-26-2012 04:46 AM

Damn- another tool that I'll probably think about and then buy. I've got this habit of wanting the proper tools for the job.

Irelands child 01-26-2012 05:41 AM

I have air and electric cut off tools, all using the 4-1/2" wheels. I am careful of the grinding wheels - either US or European make, never from a Far East country. Additionally, make sure of their rated speed - many of the air tools will really wind up - over 10,000rpm. As far as where I buy them - there are a couple of swap meets I'll always attend and often it's 10 for $5-$7 or thereabouts. My Dremel is seldom used. Great tool, but not for 'big jobs', but more for small hobby stuff like models or maybe polishing a small part.

matt167 01-26-2012 06:12 AM

HF has a new 3" cutoff tool that looks to use the same motor as the 4.5" grinders. $30ish usually, but I prefer the 4.5" grinders with a cutoff wheel.

As dave said, use good wheels. I blew up ONE HF chop saw wheel. I now use Norton or DeWalt wheels on everything, and they wear without getting damaged, until there just too small to work.. I used to use the HF cutting wheels for 4" grinders until I went up to a 4.5" grinder and wheels with the 5/8" shaft are more common

cruisers 01-26-2012 06:46 AM

cut off tools

Been doing metal work about 35 years 4.5 are the best tool for the job like the man says ,but be careful had a frend that had a cut weel/wafer blade blow apart cost him 30 stiches in his arm its best to wear full sleaves and thick welding gloves .I put on an old weld ing hood with clear linse to be safe / check the RPM raiting on the blades and tool,

cobalt327 01-26-2012 07:18 AM

For a Dremel sized electric tool, I use a Ryobi HT20VS or a Dremel MultiPro and neither have given me any problems (I don't know if either are still being made). For bigger work I use either pnumatic tools (various die/angle grinders, saws, etc.) or for an electric tool I use a Rotozip w/various blades or bits as required, or a Craftsman 1/4" electric die grinder- but it's a handful if there's a lot of work to do, plus it gets hot in your hand.

If you've not tried the fiber reinforced Dremel cutoff wheels (456 and 426 or clones), you should. They're far more durable than the thin emery-type discs that shatter at a glance. Clones are really just as good, at least the ones I've used, and cost far less than Dremel brand discs.

matts37chev 01-26-2012 07:35 AM

at this time, I am using the dewalt 4.5" cut off discs I bought them at lowes in a "bulk contractors pack" and they were pretty cheap, and hold up very well

I also bought a couple of 6" which work well for cutting multiple layers( i.e. when I cut off my rockers)

last time I was there they had some taskforce 4.5" grinders on clearance for $20 , and I think i'm going to go back and get one

that way I can just leave that one with the cut-off wheel on it :thumbup:

and use/save my other one for grinding and wire wheels

is anybody using one of these taskforce brand tools?

rajsid 01-27-2012 11:36 PM

Anyone used rotozip RFS1000?
Looks like a proper cutting only tool.
http://www.rotozip.com/en-us/Pages/P...?pid=RFS1000_1

https://mdm.boschwebservices.com/MDM.../r04216v11.jpg