Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Looking For Good Hot Rod Movies (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/looking-good-hot-rod-movies-135320.html)

RIDINGDIRTYNOVA 03-18-2008 12:23 PM

Looking For Good Hot Rod Movies

Iam Having Surgery Thursday Am ,going To Layed Up For A Few Days ,
Anyone Know Of Any Hot Rod Movies, Like American Grafitti, Or The Original Gone In 60 Secs, That I Can Findm At The Local Video Store.
Cant Work On My Nova For A Few Days , Gonna Need To Scratch That Itch, Its Gettin Bad Now That The Michigan Weather Is Warming Up.

schnitz 03-18-2008 03:06 PM

A quite a while back, I bought a 20 "vintage and classic" (as in ones from the early 30's all the way to '86) car movies 4 disc set at the local Shopko for around $5.00. It's called "Burnt Rubber". I bought it strictly for one movie, but kinda enjoy watching all of them (seen about 8 of the 20 so far). The one I wanted it for is "43: The Petty Story" Worth the price if you ask me.

In a while, Chet.

345coupe 03-19-2008 03:22 PM

2 Lane Blacktop
Vanishing Point (Original or remake)
The Road Warrior

AntnyL 03-19-2008 08:44 PM

One of my all-time favorites is Hollywood Knights. it features hot rodding in the 60's, and is funny to boot! It stars Robert Wuhl, Tony Danza, and Fran Drescher. Definitely a good watch if you want a combination of rods and laughs. Best of luck on your surgery...get well soon!

Antny :thumbup:

fiftyfivegasser 03-20-2008 06:51 AM

King of The Road (young Brad Pitt)-Tales From the Cript movie
Wraith (Charlie Sheen)
The Car (scary movie), but fast, loud Lincoln...I think.
The California Kid (Martin Sheen)
Gone in 60 Seconds
"Sometimes They Come Back"
(3 guys die in a 55 Chevy and return to haunt a relative) Stephen King Movie
Hometown USA (features a 57 Chevy)
The Wild Ride (stars a young Jack Nickolson)

And of course "Christine"...not a racing movie, but great affects.

forestrytodd 03-20-2008 07:11 AM

Not really a hot rod movie but a car classic

Smokey and the Bandit!

CustomConspiracy 03-20-2008 07:18 AM

Movies

Back in the 70's there was one called Vanishing Point. Have seen it more times than I am willing to admit.
This is a great subject........I think I'll have a BBQ and a mini film festival for some friends.

schnitz 03-20-2008 07:21 AM

The original "The Fast and The Furious" 1954. Pretty good by my standards. Much better than the 1977 flop, "Double Nickels". That was 87 minutes I'll never get back....

In a while, Chet.

fiftyfivegasser 03-20-2008 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomConspiracy
Back in the 70's there was one called Vanishing Point. Have seen it more times than I am willing to admit.
This is a great subject........I think I'll have a BBQ and a mini film festival for some friends.

I agree...good movie. They did a recent remake of the movie and IMO it didn't hold a light to the origional one.

runn141 03-20-2008 02:01 PM

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
Thunder Run
Banzai Runner
Shaker Run
Red Line (Chad Mcqueen) (1996)
Used Cars (not a hotrod movie but comical)
Speed Zone
Catch Me If You Can
Driver (1977)
Mad Max

grouch 03-20-2008 09:17 PM

Blues Brothers (no hotrodding; just for the chase scenes)

Cars (the Pixar animated movie -- if you can get the 2nd DVD, it tells of all the research put into it -- the guy took off in a motor home with his family for I think a year down Route 66 to find out what it was about. Should be able to pick out NASCAR personalities, etc. Don't give up on it too quickly. Kids will like it; you'll see the historical ties behind what they're seeing.)

pigjamelectric 03-20-2008 10:48 PM

Here's a few:

The Choppers 1961 with Jack Nicholson

The Wild Ride 1960

Hot Rod Girl 1956

Safe rodding propaganda reel:
The Cool Hot Rod 1953

I remember a while back someone posted a link for a 50s movie on google vid about a girl who got hijacked by a bad guy at a roadside restaurant. They drove in her 55 T-Bird convertible (I think). He handcuffed her to him. He ends up driving her car in a race.

Looked like the girl and the car in Hot Rod Girl but isn't that movie. The bad guy was about 45. I searched the posts but couln't find it. Ring a bell, anyone?

schnitz 03-21-2008 05:27 AM

Yeah, pigjam, I think the one you are thinking of is "the Fast and the Furious" from '54. Haven't seen it yet, maybe this weekend. But the first three are all on that set I have. Thumbs up on them all.

In a while, Chet.

pigjamelectric 03-22-2008 09:12 AM

Thanks Chet, I think that's the one yeah. It's not online. Starting to wonder if I rented it.

kruzr 03-22-2008 09:17 AM

I didn't see this one listed "Rebel Without a Cause" with James Dean..... not really hot rod movie?? but lot of old cars and good story