Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Looking for help on 396 build
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Looking for help on 396 build

Hi , I've been reading forums on this site for quite a while, but first time posting anything. I'm deployed to Afghanistan right now and just looking for some ideas and/or help on this build. The block is out of a 1970 chevy pickup(2 bolt mains), and the heads are coded for 1969 SS Chevelle/Camaro(375hp rectangle port). I've had all the machining work done on the block(.060 over), and had hardened seats and everything else done to the heads. It came with a forged crankshaft and pistons(flat top). I bought some nice forged I-beam connecting rods for it. I have a hydraulic cam for COMP Cams rated for 1500-5500 rpm, switching this out for the Big Mutha Thumper Hydraulic Roller Cam from COMP Cams rated for 2500-6200 rpm if I remember correctly, with their steel roller rockers. I was looking at the Demon Carbs, but have read all sorts of forums on the right cfm rated carb for my size motor(any ideas?). I plan on puting the motor in either a chevelle or nova that came with the 396. I plan on using the car for the car shows, cruise nights, and some decent time spent on the drag strip. One thing dishearting about my motor though is I read a lot of people dissing it and saying "IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUILD A BIG BLOCK BUILD AS BIG AS YOU CAN." Something has just always caught my attention with the 396. One other radical idea I had was swaping out the rotating assembly and throwing in a 4.250 stroke crank with 6.385 rods. That would make it a 461" monster. I seen it on CarCraft's website. Although the guy kept complaining what he had to work with. Money isn't really a big problem for me so anything really goes, I just want to use the block and heads. I'm looking to keep a stock look under the hood too, make a "mega sleeper" out of it. Sorry for such a long post, but I figured I'd try and put as much info I could in hear so you don't have to ask a million questions to figure out what I'm aiming for.