Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Looking for HELP.. Major Vibration
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 07:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Looking for HELP.. Major Vibration

Good Day All...

Kind of new to the forum and real new to Hot Rods. I recently picked up a '51 Chevy 3100 that had been Resto Modded with a 350/350, 700r4, Mustang II front end (after market), after market tilt steering Chevy 10 bold rear end, has 245-40-18 Nitto 555's with KMC wheels and drop spindles which leaves the truck with a nice rake. When I picked up the truck I was advised by the owner/builder that there was a vibration at about 55 MPH to 65 MPH and he thought it was the tires needed to be balanced. When I got home the vibration was so bad that I immediately had the tires balanced. The garage said that 3 of the four tires would not balance correctly as they required upwards to 13 onces on each of the three tires/wheels. They STATIC balanced the tires and sent me on my way.

Today I went to another garage that had a super balance machine and they indicated that they will be able to tell if the tires or wheels are bad and if they can be balanced. All four tires balanced correctly after de-flating and spinning the tire 90 degrees on the wheel and minimal weight was put on each wheel and I am on my way again.

First thing I did was go on the interstate and brought it up to 60 MPH and found the vibration alive and well.

Can anyone suggest something to look at that may cause this steering wheel shaking vibration. The truck has only 1200 miles on all of the parts and everything appears to be tight.

Thanks for your input...

Richard