looking for Hot Rod shop and Ideas for a 69 Charger - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2004, 03:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Talking looking for Hot Rod shop and Ideas for a 69 Charger

I have a clean 69 Charger SE that I want to restify to hot rod/daily driver status. My vision is to treat this project as if, all I had to start with was a clean body. I vision her with a new, turbo or super charged Hemi, new interior, more in the line of my wife's 300M or possibly Viper styling with custom dash with modern gauges, Viper buckets etc. and with updated suspension and braking to 2004 standards.

My only condition on this project will be to maintain the Classic Charger's style, and am open to just about anything else. The only problem is that the more I envision the project, the more I realize it is outside my shade tree mechanics abilities and time. I am looking for recommendations on who might be able to handle a job like this? Time is not an important factor other than I can't wait to get it on the road.

I do not have a budget in mind yet, but figure it would be at least as much as the 300M my wife drives (probably closer to a fully equipped 300C if I am lucky. I will justify this as "my new car" not just a weekend show queen.

What should I be looking at for something like this. $$$ and time wise? What ideas do you have that would make this a too cool project? What experiences would help before I step into this?

Dan
Louisville, CO

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2004, 07:54 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The more experience you have in fabricating, Upholstery, body and paint work, engine work, suspension work, wiring, Cooling, etc., etc., etc. The more work you can do the cheaper the cash outlay will be. If you can't do any or most of this then I would expect you to pay about 3 times what your wifes 300M was new... Just a blown hemi is going to run at least 15 grand... Then you have to add in the trans, rear end, brakes,and any suspension "upgrades" you decide to do. Just having someone build you a chassis, done and painted can run you 10 to 15 grand...
Do some research, look on line and start working up prices. I don't want to discourage you but you need to look real hard at what you want (or can afford) to pay and if you want this to be "your" car or a check book car...
Mark
Old 06-28-2004, 03:13 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

subscribe to popular hot rodding. they do nothing but what you are talking about. lots of money and hard to do stuff. the easier something is to install, usually the more it costs. like brakes. you can rob from other cars (usually) for cheap, or, buy baer or wilwood bolt ons for about $1700 an axle. i would definitely get front brakes for my tempest. i would love 4wdb but dont have the money. i am trying to get the 4-sp peices together to convert from an auto. i would like a 6 sp. @$1800, but will settle for a muncie i found if it's okay for $200, which is cheap. a 455 is way down the road. very spendy but not nearly what a hemi will run you. you should be able to do image search on google for your car to get ideas. lots of people have websites for their cars.. i would get all new bushings too. f and r sway bars, 17's, etc
Old 06-30-2004, 10:24 PM

Help on an estimate....

Depending on what you actually decide to do, this car could cost thousands upon thousands of dollars, but I'll give ya my two cents. My step dad, Wally Elder, used to own a shop called Custom Auto Works in Eurkeka, Missouri, where he worked by himself at the time. He had a friend who had a rusted out shell of a 69 Charger from the firewall to right in front of the trunk. No interior, no frame, no engine, tranny, nothing, just the rusted out frame, but luckily no holes. He removed the rust and what not and built a blown injected Hemi for it, had a racing chassis built for it and totally re did everything in the car. For the exterior, being a body man, he re worked the front and rear ends of the car turning it into a replica Dode Daytona with full spoiler and rear stripe included. The car was featured in magazines across the world including the obvious like Hot Rod, PHR, and what not from the states. In about 1993 I think, it may have been as soon as '97, I'm not sure, Hot Rod ran a special on the Top Ten Cars of All Time, and the 69 Charger / Daytona Replica placed. It placed tenth, but for all time, thats not bad. He also had a full aluminum interior and had tubbed the rear end, forgot to mention***Anyways, for being that nice of car, you'd expect it to cost quite a bit, but when he built it, he only spent $20,000 in it. The last I heard, someone was racing it in the California area after he sold it. Just so you know, it was a true Hemi and the WHOLE CAR WAS ONLY 20K. So you know it can be done. Depends on how much of the work you do yourself I guess. You'll learn some from schools, and shows and what not, but you'll learn the most from experience.
-Josh

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.