Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Looking for info on this coupe
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

There's a big difference between buying a new steel body and finding an old neglected body and bringing it back to life ! Its the same with buying a fiberglass replica and bringing old steel back from the dead!

new glass Kit cars are easy and only need minor repairs on flaws from the molds! That's why they sell kit glass body's! (their easy) Unless your making your own molds for parts I also do that! Its easy to assemble the good glass kits, the cheep ones are poor quality and need additional work like bracing, thickening in areas, filling of pits and blemishes etc! The hardest thing to do on glass kit body's and parts is Knowledge knowing the difference between laminating resin and standard resin , mixing for different dry times( cold or hot mix), cloth or fiber! and sanding that darned glass it itches for days in the damnedest places! I like working on Glass cars And I find it much easier to form a wing or fender flares or fins on a glass car, then making custom additions on steel cars out of steel !

My post before was meant to give that impression I wasn't cutting down glass! I own a glass! I think at a show Glass should be in a different class then old steel though! I always have and I always will !

The arguments are silly each has its points but to argue that they are both equal skill levels pertaining to body's fenders hoods etc is really unrealistic! I use glass on steel while doing some customizing but have never used steel on glass except for the molds or shapes (I also use cardboard, duct tape, chicken wire, wood, and foam) and then Glass them!!!

My opinions arn't every ones and Im not trying to change anyone's! It impressions of 50 years of owning and building both personally and in my business!

Jester