Looking for input on designing a traditional rod & custom show and vintage drag race - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Looking for input on designing a traditional rod & custom show and vintage drag race

Hey guys, I'd like to get your opinion on this.

Next May 11, 2013, I will be doing a traditional hot rod & custom show, vintage drag race and swap meet called The Gear Jam, at the Atlanta Dragway.
It'll be anchored by the NE Georgia Swap Meet, that had over 155 vendors this month for the October show... I'm anticipating nearly 200 vendors by May's show.

The criteria for the car show is a pretty straight-forward formula: Pre '64 traditional-styled hot rods, customs and trucks. No billet, no modern-looking wheels, paint, graphics and interiors.

For the drag racing, the cars will have to look the part--no modern looking wheels, no modern "Nostalgia" cars like gassers with huge wings and aero noses, no EFI, etc. etc.

The classes I am planning right now are:
Gasser
Front Engine Dragster
Altered/Comp Coupe
Nostalgia Super Stock
Hot Rod

Qualifying in the morning, and a heads-up Quick 8 elimination after lunch, with everyone who didn't make the Quick 8 getting to run heads-up against the car in their class closest to their ET. Everyone won't be in it for the money, but everyone will get to make passes for the whole day, with evenly matched competition.

I went to the Atlanta $10000 race this weekend, and they had a lot of muscle cars competing in the drag race... I'm as sick of '69 Camaros as anyone, but it was cool to see the early Pro-Stock style Vegas, Monzas and Pintos... And I didn't mind seeing the later Nostalgia Super Stocks, a friend's retro-style '70 Challenger that was an IHRA record holder in the early '70s, etc.

So at another friend's suggestion, I'm thinking of adding a "Muscle Car" class to the drag racing program ONLY, with the same kinds of criteria... no Pro Mod, no Outlaw cars, etc. Just muscle cars running like they would have back on a Sunday in '72, just like they were still running gassers and FEDs.

There used to be a pretty hard line between street rods and '50s-up cars, and that's gotten blurred to the point of being non-existent now. There's definitely a hard line between hot rods and muscle cars... but even that's gotten fuzzier over the years.

I definitely want the show field to be traditional hot rods and customs, without billet street rods... Good Guys and NSRA do enough of those shows already. There's nothing wrong with them, it's just not the market I'm aiming for.
I thought I'd get everyone's take on having muscle cars in the race ONLY... not on the show field. It'd make for a fuller race show... and who doesn't like watching drag racing?

Maybe us? I dunno... what are your thoughts guys? (and girls)

-Brad

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think by the show rules you've made you are cutting out a ton of cars that would make the show better. Just about every hot rod I've seen has a newer interior and wheels. I can't even think of more than 3 cars on this site that fits into your rules. I'm sure these kinds of cars are out there, no doubt about that, but you're really limiting the show down to one specific thing. It makes me imagine a show just flooded with rat rods, which are cool cars but after like 5 of them it's just blah. Just my opinion and something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.