Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Interior (
-   -   Looking for material to change my interior wood grain to another style (

FlipperFish 02-28-2005 10:37 AM

Looking for material to change my interior wood grain to another style
I am looking for some material to recover some pieces of my interior, which are already a faux wood grain, to another style.

Presently, I have a dark, oak like look on the door panels, and I desire to go with a lighter, maple look.

Any retailers selling a product like this? It needs to go around some tight surfaces, too.

kristkustoms 02-28-2005 07:34 PM

Good luck forming it around corners though...

FlipperFish 02-28-2005 08:45 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out

pzatchok 03-03-2005 12:19 AM

Avery makes a great product.

I just used a Mahogony of theirs to do a "woody". A hair drier will work to soften up the material enough to stretch it a bit around bends.

Practice on some similar parts to get the feel for just how much it will stretch. Work slow and have patience. If it takes a bit longer than you think it should then your doing somthing right.

I have tried out 'doller general' shelving film and found it stretches good also. Though the Avery products seem to have a far better glue.

I'll post a few picks this week end.

FlipperFish 03-03-2005 09:34 AM

Where do I find Avery products?

Beenaway2long 03-03-2005 01:04 PM

At any sign shop that does vinyl signs.
Maybe another is, but I don't think they do wood grain.

Avery options:
Cheyenne Teak
Bravo Burl

An EASIER way, is to research faux finishes at Home Depot and do it in paint. Saw it Garlits Museum for an old Ford Dash. Looked pretty realistic.

66Caprice 03-03-2005 01:18 PM


Originally Posted by kristkustoms

What do they mean by punched or unpunched? Which type is the right type to get for dash panels (like in a 66 with mostly flat panels)?



kristkustoms 03-03-2005 07:36 PM

That wouldnt matter for you...

Punched means the edges of the rolls have a punched edge. These holes allow the film to be fed through a plotting cutter. Remember the old dot-matrix printer paper that fed through printers in one long sheet and you tore it off at the perforations? Its used just like that to feed it into the plotters.

FlipperFish 03-04-2005 10:00 AM

I wasn't paying avery link was supplied in the very first post.


66Caprice 03-05-2005 05:10 PM

Click Here

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.