Looking for my first spray gun - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 07:24 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

When they stop working you can turn them into Hurst shifter handles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	57321  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Last journal entry: Project 92' Eddie
Last photo:

I FREAKIN love she HVLP shifter, I bought a devilbiss Finishline 3 new on amazon with the dekups system ( i like it but id like to have the metal cup too which doesnt come with it, and i dont know why and its 80.00 for just the cup) Anyway im pretty sure I paid 130-140.00 shipped. Im just a average DIY'er but I love the gun so far it sprayed my acid etch and my 2k urethane primer beautifully. It came with 3 different fluid tips 1.3-1.5-1.8-- im about to spray color and clear this weekend.
Personally I will probobly only use it on this miata practice car and then im going to do my bronco. And then it will sit on the shelf till I get another project. Ive always believed in buying quality name brand parts and tools theres definately a difference between getting by and . But me like 90% of us have a big time budget. Id say find a decent one and take care of it and use it forever. But like most here have and will say-- maybe buy a cheap HF gun and spend more on a good dryer/filter and good shop plumbing and the prep is 99% of a great paintjob.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

That Finishline is a good starter gun. I bought one for my first gun too and have decided it will be my priming gun. When it comes to base and clear I'll invest in a Sata or Iwata.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

SATA jet 2000 1.3 for paint............SATA Rp 1.4 for clear I've had these for around ten yers ....never had a kit :......you get what you pay for .. and you have to keep them clean
Old 08-05-2011, 07:37 AM

Last summer I painted the car and after a year and several months the rust appeared. I started construction of a compressor and after I will buy a spray gun I want to paint by yourself. Until then I hope to gather enough information on the operation of preparing the car body, how to paint..
[url=http://www.******************[/url] | [url=http://www.************[/url]

Last edited by dinger; 08-05-2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Classified ad. Please use the Hotrodders Classifieds for classified ads.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.22
Last summer I painted the car and after a year and several months the rust appeared. I started construction of a compressor and after I will buy a spray gun I want to paint by yourself. Until then I hope to gather enough information on the operation of preparing the car body, how to paint..
[url=http://www.******************[/url] | [url=http://www.************[/url]
Read our guidelines, spam ads are not allowed. One more and you will receive a permanent ban.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Professor Spray

Finex is made in China.
The difference between inexpensive guns, one year warranty vs. two-three year warranty guns is like everything else. A Mercedes costs more for a reason, a Smith and Wesson cost more for a reason. The main reason is two fold. Good guns shoot clear coat flat, almost without sanding. and they last longer than a few months. Typically 20 years. Inexpensive guns last a few months with usage and then decay without usage. But the main issue is that a beginning painter can shoot perfect with a great gun. We typically get this response.

"I've bought cheaper tools in the past and many times you end up spending more because you have to go out and buy the same tool again...The higher quality guns, especially the good HVLP's in my experience, allow you to be much more precise in the amount put into the gun and also onto the airplane."

"You were right on on every point. You get a good gun... No need whatsoever to go to any kind of class. The good guns show you what you need to know. The atomization is terrific especially at such a low psi. Thanks again."

Again, a Saturday Night Special will shoot, but a Glock is a Glock. . . Plus, a great gun is not that expensive $150 - $250. And no you don't have to buy a Sata... overrated and big commissions.

Professor Spray

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 08-05-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Post up some pictures Everyone is talking about this gun and that gun, Lets see the finshed product or some pictures of the gun spraying.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:23 PM

Last photo:

I guess I will go.
Here is the gun I used.

These three pictures. of a maroon color are the fender of a boat trailer.

I tried to take a few different angles of the same area, to try to get a reflection of the paint, so you could hopefully see paint quality.
The boat trailer was done in Dupont Centari, Code RS 379 W, with 793S Hardener. a single stage paint. The paint has not been buffed. It was sprayed outside, not in a booth.

This is a picture of the bumper cover on my Ford Aerostar. It is a BC/CC paint. The clear I used was PPG DCU 2042, the base coat was DBC 4282, Mocha Frost Metallic.
It was also does outside, on sawhorses, in a carport
Old 08-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

By doing the work yourself, you're saving roughly 3000.00 off a 4000.00 scratch and shoot. Why not buy the best gun available to improve the odds of you getting a nice finish? If you're spraying a solid color, I don't feel the gun grade is quite as critical as if spraying a metallic or pearl. With a cheap gun, you run the risk of mottling the material and getting an uneven finish with metallics or pearls. With a solid color, that isn't a worry of such a problem as that.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

Some very valid points in the last post. But with any gun, if is making a good spray pattern, you should be able to paint metallics with out "tiger striping".

I am going to suggest the biggest factor is still how the gun is handled. I have seen posts about painting that ask "Why do I have runs and orange peel in the paint I sprayed?"
Reality is, if that happens, you were spraying too wet in one spot, causing runs, and too dry in another, causing orange peel.

If you can afford it, buy the higher priced, high quality gun.
But if the price of a gun is holding you back from buying any gun, I would suggest you can get a good paint job without a high dollar gun.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

I'd suggest finding Brian Martin (Martin Sr on here) how to adjust your paint gun. You can also find it at the Southern Polyurethane website.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSpray
Finex is made in China.
The difference between inexpensive guns, one year warranty vs. two-three year warranty guns is like everything else. A Mercedes costs more for a reason, a Smith and Wesson cost more for a reason. The main reason is two fold. Good guns shoot clear coat flat, almost without sanding. and they last longer than a few months. Typically 20 years. Inexpensive guns last a few months with usage and then decay without usage. But the main issue is that a beginning painter can shoot perfect with a great gun. We typically get this response.

"I've bought cheaper tools in the past and many times you end up spending more because you have to go out and buy the same tool again...The higher quality guns, especially the good HVLP's in my experience, allow you to be much more precise in the amount put into the gun and also onto the airplane."

"You were right on on every point. You get a good gun... No need whatsoever to go to any kind of class. The good guns show you what you need to know. The atomization is terrific especially at such a low psi. Thanks again."

Again, a Saturday Night Special will shoot, but a Glock is a Glock. . . Plus, a great gun is not that expensive $150 - $250. And no you don't have to buy a Sata... overrated and big commissions.

Professor Spray

sorry to bring up an older thread, but what are some good spray guns in the $150.00-$250.00 range? i'me getting ready to invest in one myself.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:01 PM

Last photo:

the devilbiss finishline III is right up your alley then, and comes with three changeable tip sizes to boot.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:18 PM

i've heard both good & bad about the finshline 3. i've read on here that they have a narrow fan pattern & are air hogs, but i've heard good about them as well. i was wondering about the Eastwood Concours HVLP Spray Gun too.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.