Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Looking for my first spray gun (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/looking-my-first-spray-gun-202789.html)

Spectre32 07-27-2011 07:19 PM

Looking for my first spray gun

Hello all... recently I sprayed my fenders for my Superduty and I have decided its time for me to buy some of my own equipment. My buddy is a body shop guy and he turned me loose with a HVLP setup. I do not know much about the technology out there for spray guns as in who is the best and what not. I assume its like hand tools..and everyone know who the best companies are but it comes down to the Matco/snapon/Mac/ whomever its mostly a personal opinion. So all I'm looking for is a setup to do Primer and then Base/Clear. For strictly refinish work. I'm not a custom builder or anything like that and whatever I buy it will probably be the only guns I ever own so I mean I donít want el **** toro quality. I'll pay but I donít want to make another investment again.

Richiehd 07-30-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectre32
Hello all... recently I sprayed my fenders for my Superduty and I have decided its time for me to buy some of my own equipment. My buddy is a body shop guy and he turned me loose with a HVLP setup. I do not know much about the technology out there for spray guns as in who is the best and what not. I assume its like hand tools..and everyone know who the best companies are but it comes down to the Matco/snapon/Mac/ whomever its mostly a personal opinion. So all I'm looking for is a setup to do Primer and then Base/Clear. For strictly refinish work. I'm not a custom builder or anything like that and whatever I buy it will probably be the only guns I ever own so I mean I donít want el **** toro quality. I'll pay but I donít want to make another investment again.

I have used a couple of guns from Harbor Frieght. I know they are not the best, but for occasional use and primer they work great.

DanielC 07-30-2011 06:25 PM

I use a gun that cost 79.99, from Home Depot.
Most paint problems are not caused by the gun. They are caused by the gun operator.

V8&4spd 07-30-2011 06:34 PM

Harbor Fright works for me. If they were loaning spray guns at the Zone I might be over therte. :D

mitmaks 07-30-2011 06:49 PM

You should go get purple $15 gun from HF and play with it a while. before you decide to throw big bucks at more expensive guns. Next step would be Finex gun $100 range gun, sprays pretty decent.

V8&4spd 07-30-2011 06:54 PM

The cheap purple gun is all I use. I learned my leason using more exspensive guns. Sometimes they go on sale for less than ten.

V8&4spd 07-30-2011 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I painted this hood with the cheap purple gun.

taylorb2053 08-03-2011 10:26 AM

If you want a decent gun i would go with one in the 100-150 range. I have used the sharpe finex and it is a good gun to start with. You could go with a 1.3 or 1.4 tip and shoot clear and base then get a cheap gun for your primer. I prefer a 1.8 tip. Just remember its all in the prep. The better you prep the better the paint job will turn out.

V8&4spd 08-03-2011 12:23 PM

For as often as it gets used I will stick with the cheap HF gun. If it messes up you toss it. Look in a body shop where they keep the paint guns. There are plenty of exspensive guns there that don't work. There is nothing worse than having a gun go south while painting a car. I use a fresh gun while putting the top coat on, never had one mess up yet that way.

milo 08-03-2011 01:44 PM

The thing about paint guns is not so much how they spray as much as how many times they can be taken down cleaned and put back together.
The best guns and smartest buys are the ones every other company compares it'self to and are made in Germany.
The next best are made in Japan..
After them are the third world made ie.China,USA,Korea etc.
Personally I use a German gun that has been taken apart and put back together over 3000 times and the only part I have ever had to replace was the paint cup.

The answer is going to depend on how many times you are going to use it, not how much it cost.

V8&4spd 08-03-2011 01:54 PM

Most of the paint guns you see in the big box stores and other places that sell them are made in China. They put different names on them and sell them at different prices. Someone starting out does not need a $300 dollar gun they wouldn't know what to do with it. They sell those Chinese paint guns at the swap meets with the Bulldog name on them. :D I buy more than one of the HF guns at a time. It's still cheaper to clean them with lacquer thinner to be used again but not much cheaper.

taylorb2053 08-03-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8&4spd
Most of the paint guns you see in the big box stores and other places that sell them are made in China. They put different names on them and sell them at different prices. Someone starting out does not need a $300 dollar gun they wouldn't know what to do with it. They sell those Chinese paint guns at the swap meets with the Bulldog name on them. :D I buy more than one of the HF guns at a time. It's still cheaper to clean them with lacquer thinner to be used again but not much cheaper.

Milo is not talking about guns from the big box stores. Those are cheap guns. He is refering to sata which is made in germany and guns like iwata which is from japan and of course there are others. As far as someone that is only going to paint one car and get on with it i agree they shouldnt buy an expensive gun. But buying cheap guns over and over again would not be a way to go imo. Like Milo said he has used his gun over 3000 times. Buying a new cheap gun everytime you spray a car would end up costing the same if not more anyways if you do the same amount of jobs.

V8&4spd 08-03-2011 02:59 PM

I know he is talking about proffesional guns. A hobbiest would never get enough use out of a exspensive gun. I have one of those Finex guns somewhere. I had trouble with it. I found out they were known to blow out the seals. I found out too late. The paint supply place had the seal kits for them.

V8&4spd 08-03-2011 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a Finex.

V8&4spd 08-03-2011 06:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is one of the HF guns taken apart.