Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Looking for new paint brand
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Looking for new paint brand

Sorry if this has already been discussed and I know everyone is going to have an opinion. What I need is facts from people who paint professionally. With that being said here is the problem, we (myself, my father, and a few other local shops) started having trouble about 3-4 months ago with base coat coverage. Lately it has been taking 2-3 times as many coats as before to get even coverage. I thought maybe it was our supplier, but I have asked several local shops and they are having the same problem out of DBC, shopline plus and shopline. The shopline and shopline plus I know are cheaper lines of paint and I expect some variance, but even the DBC is not covering any more. I am currently doing a repaint on a 56 Chevy and the bottom of the hood and trunk lid took almost 3 sprayable quarts of white to cover gray urethane primer. This problem just started a few months ago and until this car I had done several small partial jobs on newer model stuff with minor repairs and used metallic colors, so I related it to high transparent colors. But this is plain solid white, It should have covered with 3 coats max and we ended up using 8-10. Again several local shops are having the same problem with DBC and PPG paints, so its not just something I am doing wrong. I am looking to see what you guys are using with good results. Thanks in advance. And by the way we have even spoken to the locaPPG paint rep and got no more than a vague "well all paint is not covering like it used to since they are lowering VOC's......."