Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Looking for new paint brand
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

69widetrack, we are having the paint mixed at a supplier and I had thought of the possiblitly that they are trying to add to their profit by over thinning or adding binders. The other shops I refer to are very reputable and experienced businesses and they have the same coverage problems we are. All of us are buying the paint mixed from suppliers, but there are atleast 3 different suppliers involved so I don't know if they are all possibly "padding" the mix or not but it is a possibility. We have used Nason in the past with good result on cheaper jobs and I'd love to use Glasurit or R-M but there are no dealers in our area. Martin Senour and Dupont are the only other two available locally and I dont know if Dupont will change anything or not since they were purchased by Carlyle. I can say I was able to spray the white base (DBC) used on the 56 without any reducer (just tried it on a scrap piece to see because it seemed to thin before reducer) which I thought was strange, because it actually sprayed very well and flashed off in 5-10 minutes. So I don't know, I would like to think my supplier which we have been doing business with for over 10 years is not doctoring up the mix, but it is definitely a possibiltiy I guess. Thanks for the reply