Looking for new paint brand - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

OK Barry re-read and your talking about a base coat....Sorry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Ok guys I appreciate all of the responses and maybe this will help with things. My supplier, like I said is one of the large franchise stores. Apparently after getting several complaints from just about everyone, they and a couple other of their named stores in the area started to check up on some things. Turns out they claim to have a binder problem. All of the stores in question received a shipment of mixing supplies around the same time and apparently they are blaming a "bad batch" of binder. I did not get clarification if it was real old or what the suspected problem was, but I did get a new mix of paint from the same supplier in the same brand and color and it is covering like normal. So I appologize if I ruffled any feathers about PPG. When I compared the new mix to the old there was quite a difference in the in can appearance and a big difference in the spray out and flash. When I opened the original color today it had been sitting for 2 days untouched. It looked like it had been sitting for years on a shelf, the pigment was all scattered in the can in a maze of milky liquid........ So I dont know maybe they are BSing me but whatever the problem was is not happening with the mix they gave me today. Thanks again for all the information
Old 12-19-2012, 03:19 PM

Last photo:

Oh and for the 3-4 month timeline, I had them pull up all the paint I had purchased in that period. All of them were metallic colors and were noted highly transparent so like I stated earlier I guess I just jumped the gun a little bit when this white would not cover. Appologies and gratitude extended
Old 12-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

No need to feel that you jumped the gun, I for one appreciate that you made people aware of a problem and if more end user's did the same thing it may keep manufacturer's more honest...As Barry K mentioned in a previous post, not all major manufacturer's are honest 100% of the time....Thank you and i am happy that your situation was resolved.

I did get a reply from one of the emails I sent out last night to someone that may have been able to shed some light on this situation and the individual that replied had no knowledge of the situation that you had mentioned. I do believe this person and it may have been a local problem...but unless these problems are exposed, some people may continue to use a product and believe whatever comes out of a reps mouth without any verification...In any case, you have been told something that wasn't the truth. The lowering of VOC's did not cause the paint to not cover well...I hope the jobber replaced the paint that you purchased with the defective "Binder"?????

All the best to you and Thank You for posting.

Ray
Old 12-19-2012, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

Yes my supplier had enough integrity to replace the paint free of charge and even included reducer to replace what was used in the bad mix. Thanks again to both of you for your help I deeply appreciate it. I am experienced but I do know that there is always someone who knows more than I do
Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Excellent, there are many PPG products that I've become fond of and that other major brands don't have in their arsenal...Like the Vibrance Collection, Radiance and Liquid Crystal. All it takes is one jobber to not honor or respect his customer to do irreparable damage. Kudos to your jobber for stepping up. Just on a side note...did you mention that you asked about your problem on this forum? It would be interesting to know.

As far as the rep goes that told you it was because of lowering VOC's, well that sticks in my craw somewhat but I'm young enough to get over it...I hope he's young enough to learn that what he said was a stupid, un-thought out comment and should be chastised for being an idiot. Sorry for coming down on the individual but if he makes an off the cuff comment like that, he better be able to back it up...and stupidity is pretty hard to support.

I feel I'm fairly knowledgeable as well...but understand that the day I stop learning is the day I stop breathing and always have room to learn more and improve.

Again, thanks for starting the thread and hope you and your family have a great holiday season.

Ray
Old 12-20-2012, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

Just wanted to give you an update. I sprayed the rest of the white on the 56 today. It covered with 2 coats like it should and turned out great. I attached a picture it really turned out well. Thanks again for the help and information. Happy Holidays to you and your family as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	122012 013.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	69946  
Old 12-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It looks great, again, happy it all worked out for you and have a great holiday season as well.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.