Looking For Plans to "PIE CUT" Hood.... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 08:24 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
John, I fully respect all your metal working knowledge, however, I don't know where in the heck that came from. This is a 47-54 Chevy "AD" pickup we are talking about. Bg, wants to "rake" the hood by sectioning only the front with a pie cut of an INCH. We are talking about THINNING the sides of the hood by an inch.

I understand where you could remove the "crown" on the roof of this truck a little. Never thought about it, but I can see how that could be done by shrinking the sides/over the up to the top. Ok, I get it, but I can' see how this could be done on the hood like Bg, is after.

If there is some metal man, any metal man that could do that by shrinking, I WANT TO LEARN.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2005, 09:40 AM
Shabby chic sheet metalshaper

Last photo:

"remove the big hump at the nose" Hi Brian, That is the part that I was responding to. I realize this is not sectioning, but it is a way to reduce that hump. It seems to me that sectioning will not remove the hump, but it will lower it. If you wrap a tape measure side to side over the hood before and after, the distance is reduced using either method. If you want to reduce the verticle section of the sides of the hood as sectioning does, the hump stays the same. If you had a mind too, you could reduce the verticle section of the hood by a lot of shrinking and using a slapper and dolly extensively to re-shape where the transition from hump to verticle is. You can also drive the transition curve lower on the panel by striking glancing blows with a slapper or hammer backed up by the right dolly....one with slightly less curve than the area you are working. This would be very time consuming but it can be done. I'm not saying this is the best way to do this project...just a method to consider. The more I experiment with stuff like this, the more I learn. My wife calls it "thinking outside the bowl" (a bowl being a common first metalshaping exercise).

In a nutshell; the hood has a certain amount of surface area...you can reduce this by shrinking, and re-form the curves by persuading the metal to do what you want it to. Not that hard to do if you have the patience....and good hearing protection!

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Old 03-31-2005, 09:54 AM
Shabby chic sheet metalshaper

Last photo:

Another way to do this would be to stretch the front of the hood before you cut, until it is a little past verticle when viewed from the side, so it will hinge down to meet the lower section after cutting. Then pie cut, tip down and weld. You can stretch a lot faster than you can shrink...especially using a palmnailer.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:07 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kelly
Another way to do this would be to stretch the front of the hood before you cut, until it is a little past verticle when viewed from the side, so it will hinge down to meet the lower section after cutting. Then pie cut, tip down and weld. You can stretch a lot faster than you can shrink...especially using a palmnailer.

Now THAT is a great idea I never thought of!

Brian
Old 03-31-2005, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

Somebody said they wanted a picture so here is a bottom look at a 48 Chevy truck hood...

Thanks
Bg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck  3-31 026 (1)small.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	4478  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.