Hot Rod Forum banner

Looking for a Pneumatic Clinch Clip Tool...

8K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  Bodnar720 
#1 · (Edited)
I am in the market for a used pneumatic clinch clip tool. I'm wondering if there is a source for used equipment like this other than Ebay? I'm having a hard time ponying up the $700.00 for a new one and I'm having a heck of a time finding a used one. Any direction would be appreciated.

#4 ·
Are you talking about an air powered hog ring tool? That $700 price tag is only one reason why I don't have one. You will find very limited usage for one because they don't go into tight places very well. They were designed to be used around the border wires of box springs, and don't lend themselves to many other applications.

How do I know this? From working in a Simmons factory that also produced mattresses.

#5 · (Edited)
No not a hog ring tool. This tool is call a clinch clip tool. It attaches the cross wire to the no sag or zig zag spring. I started building custom Hot Rod seat frames a while back now I'm building about a dozen a week so I need to pick up production, doing it by hand one hog ring at a time isn't getting it any more. LOL I'm too cheap to pay top dollar for new equipment unless there isn't any other options... I really need to go to the clips instead of the hog rings. They also use the tool in making lobster traps. It looks like this.

Attachments

#7 ·
cobalt327 said:
They're popular w/making fishing traps- catfish traps in FL is where I saw them used first.
Hog wash... I saw how they Cat fish in Florida. They roll up their sleeves and stick their arms in the holes along the mud banks and wait for the fish to swallow their arm. Then they grab the fishes tail from the inside and pull um out! :D I think they called it noodling? I think they got that name from the I.Q. of the fisherman. :thumbup: Crazy Dudes!

#8 ·
Metal Twister said:
Hog wash... I saw how they Cat fish in Florida. They roll up their sleeves and stick their arms in the holes along the mud banks! :D I think they called it noodling? I think they got that name from the I.Q. of the fisherman. :thumbup: Crazy Dudes!
Ha! Never tried that myself, although it's big sport in some circles. Crazy? Yep!

#9 · (Edited)
We always called those Hartco guns, now I know what you're talking about. Stanley bought out Hartco. Those are good for attaching springs to border wires and tie wires. Not easy to find used ones, but here's a link: CLICK HERE

I thought the belted clips would be a lot more than they are, but they're only about $60 for a box of 3,600. Here's a link for them: CLICK HERE
Use the paper lined steel clips, they are quieter and hold better.

#10 ·
The Hartco is one of about a half dozen manufactures making them. I think the lined clip is the answer and probably not required if the rod is lined? But that leaves the spring bare to possible squeaks... so the lined clip is probably the way to go.
I missed one on flea bay a few weeks back and I've been kicking myself for that ever since. LOL Thanks for the help guys. One will show up soon!

#11 ·
The lined clips work a lot better than unlined clips. They seem to clinch and hold better for whatever reason. If the springs are noisy, people don't like it.

#13 ·
Hey thanks guys, I found a Hartco model 65 and at an affordable price at that. I also found a good supplier of the clips on line that is much less expensive than most so I will be finalizing things on it tomorrow. I will let ya know how it works. It is sure going to make my life easier. Thanks again for all the help and direction. :thumbup:

#14 ·
Well the postman dropped off the new toy this morning. OMG what a cool tool! My hands were raw from lacing seat springs with a manual tool and the time to do it was just not cost effective. So with a lot of looking and the help of you guys I found this used clinch tool in North Carolina. I couldn't believe how few used clinch tools are available out there. And on the rare occasion you do find one they hold their resale value very well! I will be hiring another employee soon so I may be looking for another Hartco as well. If anybody hears of a good used model 65 keep me in mind.
Thanks again.

#17 ·
BTW, I found that lifting up on the two pieces you're connecting and holding them together with the hook on the bottom and then actuating the tool seems to work the best, as opposed to pushing down. I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but try it.

1/2 cent apiece?? It would almost be worth it for me to buy a gun, I'd save a fortune on clips.

#20 ·
Well to be honest the clip saga is an on going thing as of now. The original
order was for HR-CLP-23C Which is 3,600-Pack 7/8"x1/2"x11/64" Paper Lined/Polycord Collated Cushion Clip. That number has been discontinued and the new number per Mr. distributor is HR-CLP-23 for the same product. NOT!

So the order is on its way and I get curious after your post on the cost. The HR-CLP-23 is not paper lined... :pain: So I shoot Mr. Distributor a not telling him of the situation and I will be returning the package unopened. I call Bostich Stanley and they're not sure that it is a discontinued item or not? They are going to get back to me... LOL Their tech service didn't even know what a Hartco tool did or what it is all about. Pretty scary if ya ask me. So I asked them to have some one give me a call that knew for sure which clips were variable for the model 65 gun. I have also noticed that some of the guns have a few letters after the model 65 in the literature. My gun is a model 65. I'm wondering if my gun will also shoot the stuff the same as the ones with the letters behind the model Number?

This is who I'm working with... each time the number changes it gets a little more expensive. LOL I guess I will wait to calculate the cost when I actually get the product.
http://shop.gofasten.com/store/p/29...per-Lined-Polycord-Collated-Cushion-Clip.aspx

#21 ·
The model 65 gun is no longer available. The HR24C clip will also work. It's a little higher than the 23C, but it will work. All the model 65 clips work in all the model 65 guns, no matter what letter designation there is behind the model number.

#23 ·
So I finally got the correct clips and the thing is working perfect now. The guy I got it from threw in some of the narrower clips to get me started. Problem was that the would not stay centered so I got a lot of misfires. Is there some type of spacer to keep the smaller clips centered? Anyway I got the wide ones now and the gun is flawless so it doesn't really matter I guess. Thanks again Dan for helping me through this. Its guys like you that make this forum so valuable and fun to be on! Thanks again, M.T.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.