Looking for proper tool, HELP - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 05:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Looking for proper tool, HELP

I have a door that has small dent in the center, I was told to drill hole in bottom and put this rod in and turn it to shape it. That would work great, where to buy this and also I need a picture, thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Automotive Painter (collision)

Last photo:

Sounds like your talking about a PDR tool. Like these here:

Its a difficult art to perfect and I wouldn't expect to get the dent anywhere near 100% if your new to this, but I guess you gotta start somewhere. That picture I copied from http://www.blehmtool.com/ , don't know anything about the company. I'm sure you can grab something off e-bay.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

Looking for proper tool, HELP

Billy Mase where are you ?
get the dent king remover $19.95 at target .
works greeeeeeat !

bodyman , you old , cause dent king works better than you think .
guess your tired and set in your ways .
so try it or don't downsize it .
i'll put it against you in hail dent removal anytime .

Last edited by burnt olds; 07-29-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

if you drill a hole youll end up with a dent AND a hole but the dent will be going in the oppisite direction and very hard to repair,then you'll end up going to a body shop and paying more than if you hadnt touched it in the first place.forget billy maze,theres no ez cure if there was I'd buy it and get rich.that one little dent was set up at the studio by a pro (I can do the same thing at my shop) pop it one time with a hammer and "ITS A MIRICAL" .So here's how a newbie can do a proper repair and if your very careful not even have to repaint...First roll up the window,then remove the interior door panel,if you have have the old style rollup windows with a horseshoe clip get the window handle removel tool at HF for 5.00...once the panel is off you should have ez access to the back side of the dent...you'll need a 3/4" wooden dowel to push the dent out ...now push the center of the dent very lightly while watching the painted side carefully this is just to show you how much pressure you'll need dont try to push it out yet....if you cant get the dowel in then get a holesaw and drill a 1" hole in the inner door to gain access to the dent....now get a piece of 2x4 to slap the outer skin of the door,use the wide end ...with one hand push the dent out till the dent is gone then slap the dent from the outside with the 2x4 ,do it lightly at first and go a little harder each time if your lucky it'll come out easily and no need for paint ,thats the reason for the wood....I've done this a hundred times at least it always works.and its fast... just dont hit it to hard to fast use a little finesse.good luck
Old 08-01-2009, 06:13 AM

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:

I just wanted to add that if you don't want to spend the five dollars on a window crank clip remover, get a shop rag (cloth) slide it between the door panel and the window crank and pull the rag around the crank .. the rag will catch on the clip and remove :-)
Old 08-01-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atichargr
I just wanted to add that if you don't want to spend the five dollars on a window crank clip remover, get a shop rag (cloth) slide it between the door panel and the window crank and pull the rag around the crank .. the rag will catch on the clip and remove :-)
DANG, Simon...Thats a good one to remember.... I love it !!!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

over the years I have picked up lots of little helpful tricks, of course most are aimed and repair rather than body work but that little rag trick is the fastest way I have found not to mention the clip gets snagged in the rag so you don't have to spend 20 minutes looking for the dumb thing LOL
Old 08-01-2009, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

I don't mean to get this thread off of topic, but Mike one more little money and time saving trick you may already know, now a days when a power steering box comes in leaking from the output shaft (where they all tend to leak .from right down on your pitman arm) people tend to just replace the box expensive and time consuming... the reason why is the seal is way up in there and is a pain to pick out... so the solution is remove the pitman arm (always fun) take the snap ring out holding the seal in.. put the nut back on the shaft, place a catch pan under the steering box. start the vehicle turn the steering wheel to one side hold it there for a few seconds turn the car off... now you have blown the old seal spacer etc out of the box and they are kept on the shaft by the nut in the order they came out so if you have never done it before you know the order to put your new seal and spacer in..reinstall all new parts and pitman arm... you have now saved a ton of money and time....
Old 08-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 39chevy
I have a door that has small dent in the center, I was told to drill hole in bottom and put this rod in and turn it to shape it. That would work great, where to buy this and also I need a picture, thanks
I have to tell you something, PAY to have it done. Find a good "PDR" (Paintless Dent Repair) guy and PAY him to do it. They do magic, and YOU don't. Just pay a guy to do it.

Here is my take on the PDR that you are attempting. I have been in the autobody repair industry for over thirty years. I can repair small dents without plastic filler in seconds. This requires going to bare metal though, I am not talking "PDR". I can go thru a little hole and find the dent out in a panel pretty damn good, and that is one of the hardest parts hitting your tool on the spot needed. An eighth of an inch off, hell, a 16th of an inch off can mean you SCREWED IT UP. So locating that tool behind the PERFECT spot to push it out is VERY hard learned.

We have a PDR guy come by the shop who is amazing, nothing short of amazing. I have seen this guy do stuff that even after seeing him work for years I think "he'll never do that one", and he DOES IT. He is just amazing. He has told me tricks, I have watched him do it. And I have tried, I can't get anywhere near doing what he does. "Paintless", I will pull it off about one in ten times at best, probably one in twenty is more like it. This is an ART, it would be akin to seeing a guy play guitar and thinking you can do it the first time. Like seeing a guy throw a perfect curve ball and thinking you can be a pitcher.

And I have a full set of PDR tools by the way, ONE isn't going to cut it.

This stuff takes a LOT of practice, do 20 or 30 of these a day and you will be able to pull it off on small dings with good access in a few weeks.

If you have a small ding out in the middle of a panel on a car with a nice paint job and you really JUST want that ding out and don't plan on painting or anything, LET A PRO DO IT.

Brian
Old 08-08-2009, 08:41 AM

Brian, your a lucky man out there in cali ,with so many professionals to pick from but a good PDR man is like finding a good media blaster your taking a big chance on them screwing it up.I've tried three differnt PDR guys and knew I could do a better job,Funny thing is....I've been doing it for years and didnt even know it...with Suction cups,dowels and what ever semi soft stuff I could think of,I especially like chevy truck doors,They can be all caved in and when you release the stress off the body lines they pop right out.Sooooo,nothing ventured nothing learned,but it does sound like a simple dent to fix,But then again ,I'll try anything twice...
Old 08-08-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt olds
Billy Mase where are you ?
get the dent king remover $19.95 at target .
works greeeeeeat !

bodyman , you old , cause dent king works better than you think .
guess your tired and set in your ways .
so try it or don't downsize it .
i'll put it against you in hail dent removal anytime .
Its better than a torch and an ice cube for hail ????? this I gotta see ...your absolutly right I gotta try it for 20.00,Its just that I've seen sooooo many ridiculus things come out of billys mouth ,like scratch remover (colored wax)Seems like a hot glue gun could do the same thing.I hope to never be too old or set in my ways to learn something new,but like you say if it works ,it works,thats all I need to know especialy if it's faster and cheaper,everybody wins....right?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.