Hot Rod Forum banner

Looking for proper tranny to fit 74 charger with EFI 440 stroker

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AutoGear 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have a question about selecting the proper transmission to use behind a fuel injected 440 Magnum (stroked to 500ci) in a 74 charger my dad is restoring. He has the original 727 tranny that came with the car, and he was thinking about building that tranny to handle the 650HP the motor puts out, then using a gear vendors splitter for the overdrive. The concern is that this tranny uses a mechanical kickdown linkage that won't work with the EFI setup. Is there some way this tranny could be modified to work in this setup, or would he be better off using a newer transmission? Keep in mind if he uses a newer tranny it needs to fit in the car - 74 chargers were before the days of overdrive.

Thanks for the input :thumbup:

#3 ·
The 518 is a wonderful trans, I always wondered why its not as popular as it should be.

If your Dad wanted to go stickshift, Jamie Passon at Passon Performance has a Mopar specific 5spd that hes come out with. This gets aound the installation woes of the Keisler kit that involves floorpan mangling, redrilling bellhousings and conversion pilot bushings
Jamies number is 570-401-8949

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.