Looking to purchase first welder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 01:44 AM

Last journal entry: Cowl Panel RUST!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Looking to purchase first welder

Hey Everyone,

i'm looking into purchasing my first welder for a mustang restoration i will be starting in the next few weeks... Ive been looking around at different places and so far have this welder in mind..

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Any information or tips on purchasing the right welder would be appreciated!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

that would be a good one
this has been covered before once or twice
try a search you will get a ton of reading
Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

I bought a century 140 mig on ebay...came with a cart...wire... everything...its a 110 or 220 unit...the cost was 399.00 shipped..it was here in a week and I love it...I welded 3/8" plate steel plugged into the 110 outlet and it was burning through!...on low settings it welds 23 guage sheet steel...the welds looked excellent!..im a novice welder but it looked like a machine weld...apparently the system uses electronic brain to adjust the welder automatically during the weld...100% impressed with this welder...I hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 AM

Last photo:

thats a nice welder...

how about going to your local craigslist, in tools put in welder and see what comes up.. my nephew got a really nice one for half that price.. but u need to make sure u can test it first, and it'd be nice if u got a good idea how to weld or bring someone with u to test it.. no offence, i don't know your skills
Old 01-26-2011, 07:32 AM
boatbob2

new welders

ALSO,check out the pawn shops in your area,i bought a $660.00 LINCOLN welder for$250.00 (that was 15 years ago) ,still use it,it was brand new,still in the box.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

after reviewing some other post i came up with some information regarding a mig that i have some questions on...

Is a mig welder something that can only be used in an indoor setting due to the gas and so forth? i was reading in a different post that it would be difficult to use in outdoor conditions?
Old 01-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Last photo:

Depending on conditions a MIG can perform perfectly outdoors or it can be a total disaster, usually the results are poor. If the air is perfectly still you can get away with MIG welding outdoors but it takes very little breeze to destroy the weld, this is due to atmospheric gases contaminating the shielding gas (not necessarily blowing it away as is the common misconception) and it takes very little to do this. The very common, but IMO misguided, advice to turn up the gas flow to compensate for drafts is almost always of little or no help but this advice is even found in some official publications, you can try it yourself and see. The bottom line is that if you plan to work outdoors you probably will be better off using a flux core (gasless) welder or simply using flux core wire on your MIG after switching polarity.

For many years I have had to use MIG welders outdoors using duel shield wire and it was mostly a ROYAL PITA! In some cases it was required and we would rig up some pretty elaborate wind breaks which would help but in spite of what some will recommend I can tell you that it was my experience that turning up gas flow was zero help so don't let anyone tell you that doing so makes MIG welding possible outside, besides even the publications that recomend doing this are referring usually to indoor drafts and not as a solution to welding outdoors. Unless you plan on working inside a MIG is going to be very frustrating most of the time but if you are willing to deal with the drafts and erect proper windbreaks it can be done it is just that it usually is more problematic than it is worth.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangman196700
Hey Everyone,

i'm looking into purchasing my first welder for a mustang restoration i will be starting in the next few weeks... Ive been looking around at different places and so far have this welder in mind..

Any information or tips on purchasing the right welder would be appreciated!

You won't go wrong with this machine..
Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangman196700
after reviewing some other post i came up with some information regarding a mig that i have some questions on...

Is a mig welder something that can only be used in an indoor setting due to the gas and so forth? i was reading in a different post that it would be difficult to use in outdoor conditions?
Judging by the ?"s I assume you are not too familiar wiyth welding.
Therefore I highly reccomend that you find a welding course to take at one of the vocational schools. Possibly adult ed. where you can attend at nite.
You can get tons of experience and knowledge to help you with the build. Bob.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Yes i took an autobody course over 8 years ago and plan to take a welding class to get more familiar with welding.... I was thinking of purchasing a canopy kit to set up since i dont have available garage space for my project and hope that this will allow me to use the mig by acting as a wind block
Old 01-26-2011, 08:51 PM

i started to buy that same welder. it is a nice machine, but i bought a hobart handler 210 instead. it is a sweet welder. it's hotter than the lincoln, & about the same price. you can also weld aluminum with it if you get the spool gun. the hobart handler 210 will weld the thin stuff just as good as the thick stuff. it's very user friendly. i think the duty cycle is a little better on the hobart as well. you can get them off ebay cheaper than anywhere else i've seen. also, when you get the gas, i would just get the 75/25 mix.

i've welded quarters, floor pans, & getting ready to weld on the frame/rear end with my little hobart. it really is a good welder. it should weld anything a home user/small garage will ever need welded (as long as your up to it).
Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 PM

Welder selection

There are alot of welders to chose from. I own a Hobart 140, 110V. I weld aluminum, stainless, and steel with it. I have been welding for 35yrs. It cost 500.00, but worth every penny. I weld a 66 Mustang front end together, outside, with flux core wire, .035, . Welding included, front floor panals, firewall, front frame rails,frame rail connectors, shock towers, radiator support, the whole front end. The welder from Home Depot you posted is a Lincoln, good quality, and will weld anything you attemt.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

I just picked up a Lincoln Century 140 kit from Vern Lewis Welding Supply in Phoenix for $335, shipping INCLUDED. Some advertised kits don't include shipping and it's not cheap. My welder weighed 88 lbs. You do the math. And, it's a NEW unit NOT a rebuilt. The kit came with the welder, cart, 1 roll of wire, gas regulators and 10ft cables - not the short one's you usually find. It's nice to have the extra length when welding in tight spots. This is also a 110V unit so you can plug it in anywhere. Jump on the internet and give them a look, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Last edited by Coneboy; 01-27-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

thanks for all the great info guys, in the end im going to go ahead and pick up this lincoln mig welder

i decided to go with this one because i dont ever see myself using 220v since the washer and dryer are on the other side of the house..... So 110v will be the best bet...im also planning on using this as a flux core welder due to a prior post advising me that they were able to repair a 66 mustang using this...

I plan to replace the cowl panel, front aprons, radiator support and quarter panels..i will update my project i have on here and keep everyone posted!!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:45 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

i have a lincoln weldpac 100 that i only use innershield wire with, nice machine, 110v.
i welded my mustII xmember in with it and had no problem.
your limit is the duty rating, don't over heat it and it will give you yrs of service

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.