Looking to purchase a Juki 563, need help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 03:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Looking to purchase a Juki 563, need help

Hi,

I am looking at a Juki LU 563 it comes with table and several feet. It looks like its in real good shape. It has a clutch motor, which I would have to change to a servo(I'm a rookie). How much is it worth? Asking price is $900. How much would it cost to covert to servo? and is this something I can do myself? Just starting on doing my own interiors, I did my last car w/ a regular machine and would like to upgrade to something a lot nicer. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	juki563.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	43963  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

I would say that's a VERY good price for that particular machine in that condition.

Give the clutch motor a try before you feel you need to run out and buy a servomotor, anyone who has used an industrial machine for more than 5 years learned on a clutch motor. It's just a matter of coordination and slipping the clutch to control the speed of the sewing head. Took me maybe an hour of practice to learn to use a clutch motor. I now have one power stand with a servomotor and three with clutch motors and it makes no difference which one I use.

If you feel you must swap out the clutch motor for a servomotor, cost is under $150 and the servomotor is usually a drop-in replacement, no alterations required. You might need to buy a different size belt if there is not enough adjustment to use the current belt.

Ed
http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com

Last edited by lamx; 02-17-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I agree with Ed, that price is very good for that machine. As far as the servo motor vs. clutch motor is concerned I am sold on Servo motors if for no other reason than I don't have to listen to the clutch motor running all day any more. I sewed for 30 years with a clutch motor and would have no problem using one again but why worry about controlling the machine when you don't have to? All three of my machines are retrofitted with 1/2 H.P. Reliable 3000 or 4000 servos, including my heavy duty Singer 144W204 long arm.
Also, while a servo will bolt right in where the clutch motor was, Ed is right that you will have to change the belt. All three of my machines were out of the adjustment range to keep the old belt. You will have to also adjust the linkage between the motor and the foot pedal, it would be a miracle if that all lined up correctly.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 02-17-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A62WAGON
Hi,

I am looking at a Juki LU 563 it comes with table and several feet. It looks like its in real good shape. It has a clutch motor, which I would have to change to a servo(I'm a rookie). How much is it worth? Asking price is $900. How much would it cost to covert to servo? and is this something I can do myself? Just starting on doing my own interiors, I did my last car w/ a regular machine and would like to upgrade to something a lot nicer. Thanks
Im a novice but it looks like a good machine to me.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the great info. I better go take a look at it. Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

How do you know what belt to buy once you install a servo motor? Is it a standard reduction in belt O.D. when switching from a clutch to a servo or will a measurement need to be made based off the final pulley locations?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The only way to know is to mount the servo motor. The servo will probably not sit in exactly the same place from the pulley on the sewing machine as the clutch motor did. There is some adjustment, but you're probably going to need a belt 1 to 2" longer or shorter than what you have now.

To figure out belt length, measure from the center of one pulley to the center of the other pulley. Then measure the diameter of the two pulleys, multiply the total diameter times 3.1417 (Pi), divide that figure by two, and then add 2 times the length of the distance between the center of the pulleys.

If the top pulley is 5" in diameter and the bottom pulley is 6" in diameter and the distance between the centers is 12", you need a belt 41.28" long. That's 11 times 3.1417 divided by 2 added to 24". Either get a 41" belt or a 41.5" belt depending on what belt sizes are available, and how much adjustment you have.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.