looking for red eagle/kolene for 727 tranny - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

looking for red eagle/kolene for 727 tranny

I have a 72 Charger with a 727 transmission. I just ordered a transgo tf-2 shift kit and the TCI-128900 overhaul kit. I want to upgrade to kolene steels and red eagle clutches. I can't find anybody that sells the parts seperate from kits. Does anybody know a site and model numbers of where I can order them? Any help is much appreciated.

Side note: I just joined this site. I'm trying to post a pic of the car. It is asking for a script prompt for text to be formatted. How do I transfer a pic in a file to a thread?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 07:13 AM

Last photo:

Try here for the parts you need. There are many places on the internet that sells trans parts. Google in your friend.

As far as posting pictures, go here to learn how
Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

Save your $$ and use the stock thickness & style Steels or thin Steels if your adding more Frictions. The Kolene's aren't as good as the advertising. The finish/coating doesn't last, flaking/peeling. I tried them in a TH2004R Trans just to see how they'de do. As several told me not good.

If you just want to try them you can get the Alto part #'s here>> http://www.altousa.com/pdf/catalogs/hiperfCatalog.pdf to see if your local Trans supply has them.

Bulkpart changed there site name to match the Co. name = Makco, weird their Bulkpart site is still up, it does load much faster than the new one tho'.
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/A727clutch.html
Old 08-31-2010, 11:14 AM
WrenchingAce

I say, if you have the extra cash to lay out for Kolene Steels and either Alto Reds or Blue plate special clutches then go for it. I did a search on many sites about different clutches and steels before I rebuilt my TH350 last winter and pretty much everything I read said that they were a waist of money but since it was my money and my trans I tried it anyways and now I have a solid racing season of proof that they ARE worth every penny.

I have built many TH350s and of course I make all the mods that are necessary, as usual, but this time I used the Blue Plate special clutches and Kolene steels and with that being the ONLY change to my race car my 60' dropped from average 1.74 to 1.68 and my eight mile dropped from average 8.06 to the low 7.90s and of course my qtr mile times are about a tenth faster. My trans seems to only get better as it gets hotter also. I run two brackets and tend to have to hot lap my car so I can feel the difference. As far as the mods I do to my transmissions...just read Jakeshoes how to and that's pretty much what I do to all of my rebuilds.

I should mention that if you are building a bracket car then that's the route I'd take but if it's only a street car then I personally would only use the standard Borg Warner clutches and that's only because of a $$$ standpoint because I have nothing negative to say about Kolene steels and Blue Plate special clutches. Hope this info was helpful to you.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:33 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking for the best solid parts. Money wasn't really a factor as long as it was reasonable. I found transmissioncenter.net and they helped me out. I called them and they shipped out the kolene steels, red eagle clutch, and new gaskets for $135. I'm a happy camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChargerFrontSeat.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	47825   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8220535.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	47826   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8220540.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	47827   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8220539.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	47828  

Last edited by 72ChargerSE; 09-01-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:27 AM

Last photo:

Nice Charger,
Thats a descent price. A little cheaper here but, with S/H would be close.
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/HP54005R-K.html

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.