looking for the right equipment - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 07:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

looking for the right equipment

fellas I am new to the field of auto body and I am currently in school at the community college downhere in hawaii. I have been borrowing tools and looking for the right vender to buy from in all aspects of the game. Snap On is the tool company I picked and I am still confused about the difference between the Iwata and the Sata guns. It goes both ways. Just the other day I talked to my instructor and he said he would recommend the Devillbiss. I want to know whats up.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

A Devilbiss Finishline 3 or 5 is a good gun for the beginner. You can purchase them for a little over a $100. The Iwata and Sata guns can run you over $400 easily.

I've been painting for over 30 years, and I still use one.

Frank
Old 10-31-2007, 07:26 PM

reply to the spray gun answer

so do you think i went good with the snap on tools or do you think i should go with a cheaper vender. i know the iwata and the sata are expensive but i wanted to know if the finishline 3 or 5 are better for the beginner than the sata jet90-2 blueish silver gun for base/clear gun and the KLC primer gun by sata. the two satas come ain a kit from a dealer for 595.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Choosing spray guns is kinda like what flavor of car do you prefer..Myself I just got the cheapies until I got the gun adjustment deal down fairly well..the job is more affected by the nut holding the gun than the gun itself so just get one with all the adjuctments on it..Gravity feed HVLP as that is what we use now in the shops..

As far as which brand Iwata, SATA and GEO all make good guns Just is that fellows get a good result from one brand or another and stick with that..

Sam
Old 10-31-2007, 08:41 PM

I've got the Iwatas, Chu uses Iwatas too. But that student kit is priced pretty good.

I'm in your class.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:13 PM

which is better reply

i think that the iwata set is priced at about 750 or so and the sata set is right around 595. but i am hearing more and more that it isnt about the gun its about who is holding the gun and how well they can operate it. i just want to go with something i am going to be comfortable with and not feeling like i have the shabby stuff thats not giving me the right results and not showing me what my full potential is. but i dont want to break the bank either. its like buying a pair of steel toe shoes from kmart that are 15 bucks and buying a pair of 60 dollar steel toe shoes from a respectable brand that has arch support and a good insole and cushion. at the end of the day with the 15 dollar shoes your feet are killing you by the time its time to go home you are thinking more about your feet than the job at hand. but with the others its not even a thought and the only reason your thinking about going home is because its been a long day. not only that but you dont have to replace them as often.

not to sound redundant but i just want to know and if it is the painter and no the gun then i can except that.

ya dig

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.