Looking for round rubber - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 10:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Looking for round rubber

I have a 78 Camaro with the original 14" Rally Wheels that need fresh rubber on them. I know my choices are limited for "Name Brand" tires on 14" wheels if I want to use 225-60-14's. I would consider switching over to 70 series tires like maybe a 215/225-70 to fill up the wheel wells a little better and give it the 1970's ballon tire vibe plus 70's seem to have more choices for high quality rubber in the 14" size.

Anyway, was looking for inputs on which brands seem to balance out the best(tires that not out of round from the get go).

Best set I ever had was a set of Riken 225-60's, car never shook at any speed. Car currently has Falken ZE502 225-60's. They have never balanced out that well. I also had a set of Kumho's that rode pretty smooth.

Problem is once I find a brand that works they are no longer available in that size when it's time to buy another set.

Currently looking at Michelin stuff(pilot's still come in 225-60-14 and Michelin X in a 205-75-14, harmonies come in 215-70's, Dunlop GT Qualifier and the old stand by BFGoodrich 225-70-14 or 245-60-14.

I also put a set of Firehawks on my Duster(215-70-14's) and gave up after about 5 tries at Olson tire to get a set that was round and would balance out. Every one of them was oval shaped. Took them to a place with a road force machine and they verified every tire was out of round and it wasn't the wheels like Olson said they were.

The place with the road force machine can verify force variation, run out and ideal wheel/tire placement on the rim before balancing. They sell the Dunlop's there which is why I was leading towards those plus I can get whichever size I want.

Open for suggestions..........

PS, I know, I know, upgrade to 15 or 16" wheels, I just like the way my stock rally's look on the car.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2004, 12:45 PM

Last photo:

Ok, I guess I'll just go with 15" wheels.............
Old 12-04-2004, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

Anyone?
Old 12-04-2004, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Have you looked at BFG Radial TA's? They probably come in more sizes than any tire around. They're not exactly "state-of-the-art" in the handling department, but they're good quality tires. I've never had a problem with them, and I've used them since the '70s (when they WERE state-of-the-art). They don't seem prone to dropping sizes just because they're not fashionable, either. Tirerack.com lists them in 225, 235, & 245/60-14.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....l=Radial+T%2FA
Old 12-06-2004, 03:27 PM

Last photo:

Thanx Jim! I actually ordered a set of 225-70's from Sam's Club today, and yes they were BFG's!

Glad to hear they sound like quality rubber. I have agonized over what tire to put on this car for months. I almost put Michelin X 205-75's on it because Michelin's typically have a wider tread width than other brands and they are made with segmented molds(very round tires). I took the 205-75 at Sam's and measured it next to a Dunlop GT Qualifier 215-70 and the Michelin in the smaller size actually had about the same tread width and overall diameter. They would look like 215-70's on the car but just not quite enough tire to give it that 1970's ballon tire look.

Michelin has owned BFG since 88'. The worst set of tires I ever owned were BFG's back in 86. They all had tread separation in less than 15,000 miles of easy cruising and always hopped at highway speeds. Haven't thought much about them since then. I read recently they have increased their quality of manufacture since their acquisition by Michelin.

Anyway, I'll post my results when I get them mounted.

Last edited by Goldduster360; 12-06-2004 at 03:34 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.