Hot Rod Forum banner

Looking for some current knowledge

751 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Too Many Projects 
#1 ·
Hi to all you experts out there. I am seeking some advice on ghost flames over black basecoat and also over a maroon or burgundy basecoat. I have done some ghost flames in the past on a metallic blue that turned out pretty good. I tried the same process on black and the artwork took on a gold tint. I have not tried anything in the red family yet.:confused::sweat: I have found a couple of posts on here about stuff like this, but they are 10 years old....with technology and paints changing the way that they have I am sure there is differnt

The process I used before was to do the base...intercoat clear.....artwork in silver.....tinted the clearcoat with the base color....sprayed until it was buried to the desired effect....then finish off with a couple coats of clear to smooth everything out.

I know that if I try this with anything in the red family I will wind up with pink flames....we don't need that on my buddies Harley....LOL. I am up for any suggestions and will truly appreciate the help....and yes, I am a ROOKIE!!! Hobbyist at best. Attached is my first fairing that I did.

#2 ·
I am no expert! But I have dabbled in custom paint, painted wrecks for awhile, done some old cars and now do bodywork at a place that does plenty of custom paint on rides and bikes. I think you have the right idea about what to use, and that faring looks cool. Other than saying stick to one paint line as much as possible to avoid issues, theres not much current advice I can offer.

But here is an example of just black over a maroon. In person it is fairly striking. At indoor shows you need lights on it but its good looking inside too. I just did the door handles and bear claws, bodywork, etc but these ghost flames were simple and have a good effect, in my opinion. With no pink!

Todd Pearce’s Vibrant 1955 Chevy Pickup - Hot Rod Network

Attachments

#5 ·
Ha. When I worked at a paint store I was customizing clipboards for use in the warehouse, just taking the opportunity to play. Just about anything looks cooler buried in clear.

I didn't paint that truck, my friend at work did. The clear isn't tinted. Look at the article's pic of the exhaust exit in the bed step and you can see the contrast on the door.

#4 ·
And thanks for the compliment on the fairing.....that is the first thing besides a cornhole board that I have ever painted. It's funny how I have waited until 57 years old to start doing this stuff. Always wanted to....just too scared to mess up somebody's ride, or even mine....you know.

#7 ·
It looks like it could possibly be a 3 stage.....regardless....it gives me a place to start. I know you didn't paint it, but even the door handles are off the chain on that thing....you should be proud of what you can do....it is for sure an art. I wish I had gone that route early in life instead of working on power lines....LOL....:thumbup:

#8 ·
You most likely made a LOT more money working on power lines than most do in body and paint. It's difficult to get people to pay a fair price for the hundreds of hours involved in a paint job like that. Once a shop has built up a reputation, like Hack Shack seems to have done, they can get paid well. Starting out, you'd live in a commune with the rest of the "starving artists"...:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.