looking for some head(s) now i'm gonna explode! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2004, 11:21 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

looking for some head(s) now i'm gonna explode!

i have spent the better part of two days looking thru ebay ads for high performance heads and i am about to explode! i thought i knew what i wanted now i cant believe how confused i got! fixed up this, bowl hogged that, aluminum, titanium valves, flow benches. god i want to scream! i have found a guy who will sell me brand new (i think anyway, or else completely reworked)...vortec heads that have been "hogged" out to 2.02 for $550 plus shipping. i realize i am only a "few" hahaha hundred away from getting aluminum heads like the E-Tech, which i finally found out what it was, and i also found an action for some Fast Burns on ebay as well. shheeite moslem! on to of that it was my first try at bidding and i bid on something i dont even want. thank god it's only $25.00

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Re: looking for some head(s) now i'm gonna explode!

Quote:
Originally posted by bullheimer
on to of that it was my first try at bidding and i bid on something i dont even want.
That is the biggest danger of cruising ebaY!!
Old 03-19-2004, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

Also beware of the wording, such as " Vortec type" this could mean a few different things. Another guy is always selling "race" heads with 64-76 cc heads and 2.02-1.60 valves etc. These are used stock GM 305-350 heads with bigger valves installed. You can only flow so much thru a stock casting, and a 305 (64cc) head with 2.02 valves is about as worthless as(my dads saying) T!ts on a boar hog!
Old 03-19-2004, 11:10 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

i trust you two on this subject more than anyone else on this board

is there anyway i could talk you into going to "my ebay" site and checking out what i've been looking at: there are 5 different heads there. they are going on a350 i plan to use a summit 1107--234/344, .488/.510 cam or equivilent, headers, rpm intake. going to replace the pistons but dont know if i will get the dished stock or flat tops with iron but will get flattops if i get aluminum or even vortecs.

bob and willys, i pm'd you with what you need to get to my ebay.

Last edited by bullheimer; 03-19-2004 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:37 AM

Hey Bull, that's gonna send people to the log in site, and you don't really want people on the internet logged in on your behalf on ebay, do you? I mean, I'm sure they would only bid on things within your budget, but then again.......

You can link to a specific item / auction page on ebay, but don't link to your info.poncho heads
Old 03-19-2004, 11:42 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

okay, i thought they would have to have my password to get in. i sent it to willys and bob but yeah i dont want the whole world to see it! thanks
hey paper, nice heads, those would look good on my pontiac engine. if i had a block that is!! are you bidding on them? they must be good for that guy to bid $125 for castings

Last edited by bullheimer; 03-19-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I like two of the iron head options you found. Either the Dart 72cc ones ending in 67507 or the rebuilt factory 64cc(?) ones ending in 698516 look like good deals. Are you stuck on shiny aluminum or trick looking iron? How much power do you want to make? The Darts will be lower compression and probably have more meat around for porting, milling, etc. if you want to do that later. On the other hand, the rebuilt heads look like quality units with quality parts and the price is great.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:38 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

AND THEN THERE'S THESE

HIS REPLY
I think you better go get his. They are machined for screw in studs plus they have been ported. They will flow more than mine even though mine have bigger valves. The porting done will add alot of flow compared to just putting bigger valves in. Good luck
----- Original Message -----
To: amperfheads@houston.rr.com
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2466970163

MY REPLY
below is what i lifted from your competitions ad on ebay. i noticed in favor of yours that your intake valves are bigger. is there anything on his heads that would cost me extra to have done to yours? they are going for the same price: $555. i wont be using 1.6 rockers cause i'm using a dual pattern cam. -sam bull

"Bolt-on performance. By now you've heard all the hype about Vortec heads, now here's a chance to get a set that has had all the factory limitations addressed. New GM castings, professionally machined for performance use. Guides cut down for high lift cams and press-on seals. Rocker stud bosses milled and tapped for screw-in studs and guideplates. Intake face drilled for Vortec and standard -86 manifolds should your class require them. Pushrod holes opened to accept 1.6 rockers without hitting casting. Oil drains opened and smoothed. Hardened exhaust seat inserts for unleaded fuels or alcohol. Guides honed for proper clearance. Surfaced only enough to correct GM's inaccuracy. Chambers measure 64cc's. Port work is limited to the areas that needed help. Vortec intake ports are great, slight widening at pushrod pinch, blending the short side, and flash removal does it. Bowl area and chamber/seat transitions got alot of work. Expect 20+ cfm over standard heads. Exhausts got n! arrowed guide bosses and additional roof enlargement, along with heavy bowl and short turn work. Figure on 25+ cfm improvement here. Assembled with all new parts, including stainless 1.94 and 1.5 valves, lightweight steel retainers for +.050 installed height, Comp Cams guideplates, rocker studs, locks, seals, springs for hydraulic roller or flat tappet cams."

>From: "AM PERFORMANCE HEADS"
>To: "samuel bull"
>Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2466970163
>Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:04:20 -0000
>
>At this moment, I do not have any listed, I have a couple of sets coming in this weekend. Then I will list them. Or should I reserve a set for you. They are $550 for a set with 2.02/1.60 valves. yes, we are the ones that started the Bowl Hogging trend. So let me know how you want to handle this and we can get started.
>

NOW I WAS THINKING THAT THE TOP QUOTE FROM EBAY WAS GOING TO SELL FOR $550. BUT THEY ARE GOING UP. AS YOU CAN SEE, HE WILL SELL SOME PRETTY HOT VORTECS IF YOU LOOK AT HIS ITEM NUMBER 2466970163, THAT WASNT IN MY LIST FOR SOME REASON, BUT THIS IS THE HEAD I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE UNLESS I HAVE TO SPEND OVER $200 TO GET THEM TO RUN (PUSHRODS/ROCKERS, INTAKE) CHECK THEM OUT. WHY DIDNT YOU THINK THAT THE PORTED VORTECS WAS THAT GOOD A DEAL? THINK IT WILL GO WELL OVER $600? THANKS AGAIN FOR LOOKIN FOR ME 36! YOUR email address is still willys36@aol right?
Old 03-19-2004, 01:47 PM

Last photo:

Went to your site. Ebay no.ending 7507= good stuff. 8251= ok if they didn't screw up the angle mill. 1257= ok. 6618= ok Vortec. 8374= won't work on your engine. 8516= These are the ones I warned you about, 305 with big valves PASS!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:00 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

awesome. but just this one more time, the item above from the guy who has the ones you both like best so far: #2466970163
he has vortecs with 1.94 valves, alittle bowl blend for $550! are these also 305's?

here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2466970163

you both like the darts but i am not into porting them myself cause i dont know wht i'm doing. then i would have to buy springs and valves dont forget

Last edited by bullheimer; 03-19-2004 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

Yes those are also 305's. Another thing about the Vortec's. Remember, you won't be able to use your existing manifold.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:49 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

the guy who makes those 305's with the 202's is the person who preps vortecs as well the same way. i have no way of knowing if they are anygood and kinda figure if he'd hose ya one way he'd hose ya another.

you're right it says at the top of the page casting #405 and on Mortec.com it lists them as the smaller 305 heads.

here's a whole stinkin engine about 60 miles from me:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEBBI%3AIT

what's the most you think i should bid on this. kinda puts spending a mint on just heads in perspective here is the item number 2467490618

Last edited by bullheimer; 03-19-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

We build and sell a bunch of these, basically a stock rebuild with flat tops, roller chain,good springs, and a lopey hyd cam in it. They sound good and are reliable. The biggest problem we have with them is people who don't know how to tune the carb for them and the cam is about the biggest you can use on a stock convertor our price out the door is about $1800. go from there.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:40 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

bob i take it you are not a real big fan of vortec heads. being a machinist it would be easy to port regular heads tho. must be nice. i would be happy with vortecs from what i have heard, despite having to use a different intake. it's really hard finding regular heads for cheap that have had a proper port job put on them and then how do you trust the guy who did it?

re: the engine you basically are saying it will go up from the $800 it's at to the $1800 area. my brain is starting to hurt again.

all i wanted to do is score something for a couple o'hun more than a whole $300 valve job would cost me on my 1971 lead requiring 350 heads because of having to put hardened seats in it but now it's starting to seem like i'm better off to just take what i got to somewhere that knows what they are doing and get everything done to the tune of about $500. plus i dont really want 76cc chambers.

SO NOTHING REALLY JUMPED OUT AND HIT YOU OVER THE HEAD I TAKE IT?

Last edited by bullheimer; 03-19-2004 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:53 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

New Dart cast head from summit are $450.
Chevrolet: 262-400, 64cc combustion chamber, 180cc intake runner, 2.02 in./1.60 in. diameter intake/exhaust valves, 1.250 in. diameter single valve springs, straight spark plugs, assembled, Iron Eagle heads

Or, are you looking for alumium heads?

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.