Looking for some help on headlight conversion dandy of a question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 11:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Looking for some help on headlight conversion dandy of a question

I really appreciate the help I've gotten here and now I got something that really has me stumped. My buddy and I are working on a British built imported 1952 Austin Sheerline. The customer wanted a moderned LS1 motor installed to make the vehicle turn key reliable. He also wanted to have the vehicle converted from right head drive to left hand drive. We've taken care of about 90% of the major issues but I can't find much on the headlights. The original headlights were of a british type and the inner reflector is almost 10 1/4 inches in diameter. The largest I can find for a old ford is like 9". The setup this thing used to go from high beam to low beam is less than desireable. (There is a large resistor with essentially a large single filament bulb and solenoid in the basketball sized housing). It steps the voltage down I'm assuming to dim and brighten the bulb. Being this car is meant to be a driver and you can't get the headlight bulbs or that crazy solenoid setup here in the US easily (checked into already) I'd like to convert the headlights from this crazy setup to H4 halogins or possibly sealed beam bulbs. I've talked to Bob Drake's and Juliannos and haven't been successful. I know there were some of these Sheerlines that were sold here in the US in limited numbers. Those cars were left hand drive and had sealed beam bulbs installed in the basketball sized housing with some sorta adaptor integrated into the housing. The problem is trying to find a set of original US housings is going to be next to impossible being these cars were built in limited numbers in the US anyways. Anybody know of a company out there that does these conversions? It also has a set of fog lamps that use some sorta crazy bulb as well. Getting a housing for that isn't going to be so hard because the fog lights use a 6" reflector. Here is some pictures of these old cars so you guys get an idea of exactly what I'm talking about. Any ideas suggestions would be appreciated. http://www.motorbase.com/vehicle/by-.../gallery.ehtml

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Last photo:

I think what I would do based on your prior modifications is to first install a complete new American wiring harness. I would then seek out a donor vehicle for a HID retrofit. It may be possible to modify the existing headlamps to incorporate the HID mechanism.

Vince
Old 10-07-2008, 02:10 PM

Yeah, the car is getting an entirely new 18 circuit Painless harness with a Painless LS1 standalone harness.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM

Measure a Jeep Liberty it may be of the size that you are looking for. also try Hella and Cibie they make wonderful headlights and may have something to fit. Jack
Old 10-07-2008, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

I converted my stock 1935 headlamps to halogen but it wasn't easy. I started out with a kit from Bob Drake, they still didn't fit right so I modified the inner ring structure the had to re-index the bulbs (H-4 I think) to get the light pattern right. Actually it was alot of screwing around but it paid off in NICE night lighting. They are on a 40 amp relay also.

It's just "basic hot rodding 101".........make it work.

The beauty of it............they still have that classic stock look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069 (Small).JPG
Views:	47
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	33139  

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.