Hot Rod Forum banner

looking for swap info!!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jalopy45 
#1 ·
I own a 1990 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 and I want to remove the fuel injected 5.7ltr. and replace that with a carburated crate motor approx. 300hp to 400hp. But I would also like to retain the
700R-4 elctronic 4speed w/overdrive. Does any one make a stand alone computer for the tranny.
Or is this even possible, would it be easier to put in a TH400 from an earlier 4x4 truck.
If there is any one who could possibly help with my situation I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks for any help and or guidence!!

T.J.B.

#2 ·
The way the laws are now(and the ones coming) i think i would not do this swap. There are NO +'s to this swap .You will be just going backwards.Less gas milage,less hp.The only thing it will do for you is cost you money and make your burb preform less(and drink lots more gas LOL).Fuel in jection is the only way to go.Pick-up some books on ex mods.Also put a spacer under the tbi it helps a lot on low end.Start reading up on the fuel injection cause your going to have to deal with it if you have any kind of newer car/truck.Yes you can run the tranny with out a puter ,several companys make kits.We run them in rods all the time.Can i ask why you would want to do this???

#3 ·
try checking this motors out at Scoggin Dickey - they are made as better performance replacement engines for your suburban.

you can also do a custom chip with vortec heads & GM Perm. intake for a decent power increase.

#4 ·
p.s. I have heard a few other people contemplate this, and it probably wouldn't cost you any less to put one of these engine in. 300 on the HP and 350 on the torque side isn't to bad.

#5 ·
The Scoggin Dickey suggestion is a good one. I'd keep the od transmission because of the fuel economy and reduced rpm's. You can get a closed loop wiring harness from e-z wiring, they advertise in pretty well all the magazines. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.