Hot Rod Forum banner

looking for that ugly yellowish primer

950 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  chevelle_man64 
#1 ·
any one know if that ugly yellow/greenish colored primer is still available? I would like to colormatch as a base coat and clear it with flattner added. Pictures would be helpfull.

#2 ·
to each his own I guess.
Not for sure what exactly you are talking about, but first guess would be self etching primer. Self etching or wash primers are often an ugly yellowish green. I doubt you could paint directly over it so you would need to get paint mixed up.
Epoxy comes in a lot of different colors, ppg has had grey green for a long time. Nason epoxy is an ugly green as well that I can remember. I think clearing over an epoxy based primer would be fine if you wanted to use the actual primer as a base and it may actually cost less then getting base mixed up would, but like base would need the uv protection of a clear.
Urethane primers also come in different colors and many can also be tinted with colors off the mixing bank. The most common colors though I'd say are grey, white, black and buff.
Or you could stop in at your friendly neighborhood paint supplier and he may be able to help you, will have a variety of automotive primers there, as well as chip books to look through. There sure were some ugly colors in the 70's man.

#3 ·
Paint........

Hi,go to an auto paint supply store,ask for ZINC CHROMATE primer. try to get the one you use catylst in. i know that US PAINT makes it,under the AWLGRIP brand. (thats a marine type paint (for aluminum boats) correct mix ratio is ! to !. but ive used it for years on cars.

#4 ·
guys, he is in california, there are no friendly paint suppliers out here and prices are sky high. you need to order what you want over the internet--try smartshoppers--www.smartshoppers.com or 1-800 541-0399.

the only paint they want to sell us out here are watercolors(water based paint)... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.