Looking for window install tips. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 11:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Looking for window install tips.

I have looked in the knowledge base but all the info there relates to newer cars with glued in windows. I am trying to fit windows to a 39 Hudson which does not involve butyl tape or adhesives.

The glass is bigger than the hole, which means that the window can't go in from the outside. I have managed to put in the two quarter windows,
with great difficulty, it took all day to put in one.

Now I have to do the two rear windows and the two front windshields and worked all day today getting nowhere.

Has anyone fitted windows to an older car, working from the inside, are there any tricks to help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

How's it configured stock?

Is there a rubber seal that goes around the glass edge?

Most of these involve fitting the glass seal to the glass, then wrapping a cord (plastic-wrapped clothesline works well) around the outer groove of the glass, with the loose ends at the bottom. Lube the cord up well with a little dish soap, then set the glass onto the bottom window flange with the cord ends inside the car. With some tugging on the cord ends, and some gentle pressure from outside the car, the cord will roll the edge of the rubber seal around the glass flange as it is pulled into the car.

I did a lot of glass installs on my VW Rabbits, and that is how these cars had the glass retained, even in the quarters...

Depending on your seal configuration, you might have to put the glass in the car from the inside, and pull the cord to the outside to roll the edge over the lip. It depends on how the seal was manufactured. It does'nt have a lock strip in it? These kinds of seals require the seal and glass to be installed first, then the lock strip installed into the seal to retain the glass in the opening...

Doc
Old 09-28-2006, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

No lock strips here, just straight forward rubber seal.

My difficulty is the large flap which ends up outside has to be pulled out through the opening.

Thanks for your reply, I guess there is no easy way.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:26 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Whoops! See Below!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:28 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosstrooper
No lock strips here, just straight forward rubber seal.

My difficulty is the large flap which ends up outside has to be pulled out through the opening.

Thanks for your reply, I guess there is no easy way.
Are you manually pulling the seal through or using a rope?

I always "grease" up the rubber lip with vaseline as well as the rope to string them in. Usually I double wrap with a small diameter cloth clothesline. The first pull should give you a toe-hold around the lip and the second pull should seat you down pretty close.

It's a good idea to "slap" the glass around a bit as you pull the rope through - sometimes you cannot do this yourself and will need to get someone else to help.

We had a really tight one on this car 26 years ago! Only 1 piece of glass in the whole US and our cost was 1000.00 (I'd shudder to think of the cost now...) it took 3 of us a full 8 hour day to get the glass in place because it was so tight.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

I used a string/rope to put the rear quarters in but had trouble with the rope cutting into the rubber.

The instructions which came with the rubber from K-Gap (a long time ago) say I should use a plastic spatula to push the lip from the inside.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:07 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Like Rambo said, Vaseline works great. You need to grease the rubber up real good on all sides. If the rope is cutting the seal, you need a larger rope, or grease it up better. Also trying to force the glass too much will pinch the rubber, causing the rope to try to cut it.

It is best to have 2 people working on it, in order to have light pressure to hold it in as the rope is pulled. The pressure should only "help" the glass and seal to go in, not force it.

Aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.