Hot Rod Forum banner

looks like a 383

25K views 94 replies 11 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 ·
OK, so without getting my balls busted too bad for being a pain in the rear....
I have a somewhat organized plan on a somewhat limited budget and want opinions, and input....and of course the classic....how much HP.... And yes, as i know I will be told the proof will be in the ET but its still fun to estimate, and make changes where possible.
Stock 4 bolt block
Eagle 383 rotating assembly, pn#B13405E030, (flat top with 5cc 2 valve relief) 758$
Machine work and assembly $740
Dart SHP 200 heads PN# 127322, (these will get ported) 64cc chambers $1000
Lunati 60141 233/241 at 0.050, 504/525 ( or more with 1.6) $345
PP dual plane typhoon intake $200
1" 5/8 long tube headers, 3" to single chamber flowmasters with turndowns, zero bends
Modded HEI
Comp roller rockers either 1.5 or 1.6, $200
Holley 750dp ( I already have)
94 octane fuel always
TH350 rebuilt and shift kit
B&M 3000 stall
9" with 456 gear
31/18.5 Sportman pros
3700# race weight.
Can't think of anything else....HP? Torque?
ET?

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#58 ·
And then the little voice in my head hears all of this and starts talking back lol...I'm looking at 1200 for heads, 200 for an intake, 300 for solid cam and lifters....750 for 383 rotating assembly, 700 in machining and assembly.....so....what we have here is app3200$.....or........450 for summit rebuild kit with forged slugs, the same 700 machine and assembly, keep my 906 heads and port them, use the thmper cam I already own, use the springs, guide plates and screw in studs I already own, use my 750dp I already own....and add 2300 for the weiand supercharger.......so....3400$ and I'm blown....likely more reliable then a high strung high compr 383.....and can likely make more power on any given day.....

#56 ·
Acually this started as a Daily driver had a 305 with 700r od 331 gears ,then i built thus engine a new crate motor 030 over bore .250 over stroke aka 496 ,put comp cam 280,roller rockerss and comp roller chain and push rods .then trick flow alum heads 225/188 -113cc saved 70 lbs alum water pump no hp gain but 19 lbs off the front alum intake with tripowerr 3 holley 500s msd ignition & dist sanderson 3 " headers flattop kb pistons so the 500 est is conservative ,now my son is doing a frame off paint job changing to porsche guards red he is doing it for advertising, his body & restoration shop so price is right ,Probably will see limited use now ,i will be installing 4 link adjustable when i get it back

#57 · (Edited)
.. If you were closer to Detroit, I would suggest the Swap Meet at Gibralter North hall which is usually the first weekend of January. I've picked up some screaming bargains there. Like a new pair of Motown 220 aluminum heads for $500. Up in Saginaw, Mich. swap, a new pair of LT4 heads for $85... Seems amazing for a 210/229 cam. If you had a receipt verifying the price, not sure how much customs would be on something like that. I stopped going snow skiing in Canada when a passport was required.

.. Friend of mine runs mid 11's first time with stock SBC LS7 flywheel dyno 530HP in late 1980's Monte Carlo. (video available)

.. If you're considering an Eagle cast crank, you may want to go Scat cast. A quick search of the 'net will get you endless stories of Eagle cast cranks breaking. Forged cranks are a different story.

.. Who's porting the heads and how much porting? That can make an enormous difference in power estimates. Since you're talking a tight budget, I'm assuming maybe just a little cleanup and pocket porting?

#65 ·
This seems like a much better plan then the 383, more fun too....will likely try and step up to a budget forged piston tho....a small safety net considering how much my stuff gets abused. I checked the summit rebuild kits but I believe all their forged slugs are flat top only....so I may have to piece together everything instead of a simple rebuild kit. I'm sure that will drive the cost up somewhat.....yah, that crane piece is cheap for sure, even the lunati isn't bad, plus whatever the cost of lifters will be....Howard's are inexpensive, as are the summit brand but no idea on quality there..

#64 ·
.. Yes, Thumpr cams have narrow 107 degree LSA and lots of overlap between intake and exhaust valve opening, allowing a blower to push the air/fuel mixture right through the engine and out the exhaust... the overlap also acts like a serious air leak at lower RPMs in a low compression engine... causing low MPG even before the blower boost picks up...

#68 ·
I'm told its a comp 268, but honestly don't know, and if I'm going through the effort of pulling the motor then I'm going to swap anyways. I would port the 920's, and I'm guessing with a bit of "unshrouding" of the combustion chamber it will increase the cc's. As for the forged pistons, I really don't want to spend the money but if I'm going to be there anyways, I figured it just makes sense....believe me, I would rather do it cheaper....but meh....what do you do. The goal here is use the heads I have, valve springs and a set of long slot summit rockers, arp hardware throughout, the 750 I already have. And the blower. I assume the torque of the blower will help with my wussy 3000 stall and 456 gear selection lol...so if i order a rebuild kit without pistons, then order the ones you mentioned, are the moly rings that come in the rebuild kit going to work? I have to admit, I have driven in a couple blower cars, one with an 871 on a 496 and a few paxton pushed 5.0 stangs....and the low end off idle is so violent....i just always assumed the price to play in that territory was outrageous so I never even considered it. But really, If I can make 355 that will turn these huge meats I will be happy. And 114 is readily available just down the street from my shop so if a can do a pulley swap, a jet change, and go to the track every few weekends it would be perfect.

#69 ·
I'm going to assume a modded hei isn't going to cut it in this application and will need an ignition box with boost referenced timing retard? Or is it something where I'm running say 7psi and set the timing at a locked "safe" amount and leave it alone?

#70 ·
Nope, not too much bother at all, I have to make rear shock mounts, as there currently isn't any at all, rebuild the trans, run exhaust, and pull the motor, realistically the dollars and cents isn't going to be alot different then a 383, but the power, the grin factor, the cool factor, and the fact that a pulley change, some good fuel, will hopefully get me into the 11's it seems dumb not to do it. I did an alum head big cam 350, did a budget 350 with junk parts, did a 406 this summer, all were successful, so this is something I badly want to try...and with a little help, (alot) and some common sense I think I can make it work.

#72 ·
I could stuff an 871 under the hood with no issue.....lots of space and the motor sits looooow.......OK, so in theory sure, I could throw a blower on this as it sits, but I know the oil pressure is on the low side, not bad, but not great. No smoke, no noise, but the unknown factor concerns me....I could pull the heads, port them, freshen them up, and install with new valve springs, add a new HEI, the blower and the timing retard. And let it eat.....if I get the summer out of it then great.....but really, assuming a small cam, 268 or possibly even an RV style cam that's already in it, what kind of power can i make at 7psi?

#75 ·
And I suspect the torque at even 5-7 psi is going to make me happy enough to not get greedy anytime soon....so....in theory, a new hei, the msd timing retard from eBay, port the heads, reinstall with arp head bolts, learn how to boost reference my 750, install my converter, buy and install gear and drive it.....if it breaks, then fix it....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.