Hot Rod Forum banner

looks like a 383

25K views 94 replies 11 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 ·
OK, so without getting my balls busted too bad for being a pain in the rear....
I have a somewhat organized plan on a somewhat limited budget and want opinions, and input....and of course the classic....how much HP.... And yes, as i know I will be told the proof will be in the ET but its still fun to estimate, and make changes where possible.
Stock 4 bolt block
Eagle 383 rotating assembly, pn#B13405E030, (flat top with 5cc 2 valve relief) 758$
Machine work and assembly $740
Dart SHP 200 heads PN# 127322, (these will get ported) 64cc chambers $1000
Lunati 60141 233/241 at 0.050, 504/525 ( or more with 1.6) $345
PP dual plane typhoon intake $200
1" 5/8 long tube headers, 3" to single chamber flowmasters with turndowns, zero bends
Modded HEI
Comp roller rockers either 1.5 or 1.6, $200
Holley 750dp ( I already have)
94 octane fuel always
TH350 rebuilt and shift kit
B&M 3000 stall
9" with 456 gear
31/18.5 Sportman pros
3700# race weight.
Can't think of anything else....HP? Torque?
ET?

See less See more
#8 ·
In canada, pricing tends to be significantly higher...the PP intake has proven to work very well and I wouldn't say there is a big difference between that and the edelbrock, the cam your looking at is hyd, I'm looking at a solid so they are pricier...

#6 ·
With 0.010 in the hole, 0.040 head gasket I show 10.85 with a slightly large. 050 squish...which I know isn't ideal, but on 94? I'm not adverse to more cam to help the cause.
The heads are available with 72cc as well so that can be fixed if needed.
Weekend toy, occasional strip, mostly something to abuse....its a nova front clip and narrowed rear with leaf springs and lots of tire. Weight savings isn't real possible without glass fenders etc which is over my cash limit....

This post has been deleted
#18 ·
I have the option for 72cc heads as well, if I have the block machined tyo zero deck clearance and a .028 head gasket this looks like 10.48.1 ......I may look at the profilers if my Guy can get them, if not the IK200's were an option but not sure if they can be had for 72cc and I believe there at least a couple hun more....what other alum head can I look at for 1000-1100 bucks at my door with a 72 CC chamber....kinda rules out summit or jegs house brand due to shipping etc....and I know you want to see more converter but this is what I have for now.....gears aren't completely decided on yet tho....and what about a 1.6 rocker with that cam choice?

#21 ·
a .028" gasket will not work with a 0 deck clearance. Too tight.

any all Summit and Jegs and Direct from Profiler, Brodix, Comp, Lunati etc shipping.

Ge the stuff ground shipped "shipped to the Border" go pick it up yourself and import yourself. (13%HST)

its goof proof simple to ground ship to the border and import the stuff your self.
Ogdensburg, New York (serving Ottawa and Brockville area) | Ship to the Border

This is Closer to you than "your Guy" in Montreal. Now you can shop around.

If I was going to start with a Dart cylinder head I would start with the 215 cc port Dart or the 230cc port Dart head ( for power)
The summit house brand I like and yes, I actually have a friend in ogdensberg so could have them shipped there, unfortunately I don't have a passport so I would have l have them picked up but that's still doable....

#30 ·
Its a Pro street street rod, and therefore by design its going to be a big tired poser car, that a small tire would make look fairly ridiculous unfortunately....lol. for gear, I'm simply comprimising to have some highway cruising ability in a pinch....456 puts me at 3000 at 100kph, which is about where I want to be....as the gear in the car currently is somewhere in the 350-370 range I should be happy with the jump to a 456..

#38 ·
Not to start an interweb pssing contest but that article essentially backs up tech, math is math, and assuming the numbers given are accurate, it shows 10.7 static....the article repeatedly states ABOUT 10.5 as the practical limit, and on 93 as opposed to the readily avail 94 around here. And agreed that it comes down to dcr which at 8.82 isn't extremely aggressive with a good tune and 94. It doesnt seem to take into consideration alum vs iron heads either which seems significant. I would agree at 11+ comp that its diminishing returns.....high risk, little to gain, but at ABOUT 10.7 it doesn't sound like a ragged edge deal.....keep the timing right, run good readily avail fuel, keep it cool, and don't be retarted with it in 35° weather.....or 90°+ I should say for you American lads......

#37 ·
If you want it to get up and haul the mail when you rug it, put some friggin gear in that tank.
(just messing with ya)

read this.... when you get done, read it again.
Daytona Sensors LLC - Tech FAQ Engine Tuning
I call BS. While the article covers static compression ratio and fuel octane, spark timing and air-fuel ratio, it does nothing to address dynamic compression ratio. If you were to go solely on the information presented, it would seem not to matter the closing point of the intake valve, so that a cam that closed the intake at 20 degrees ABDC would return the same results as a cam that closed the intake valve at 60 degrees ABDC. Again, I call double BS.

#41 ·
Im not getting into the arguments,Im stating that I have high compression,I use aluminum heads,I only use a 3.5 gear with a stout solid roller,a 950 holley,6k rev limiter chip,single plane intake,and a lot of things that a lot of people say wont work,,,and the car works! It goes like hell,Im scared of it!

#42 ·
Lmao.....its nice when you do what everyone says shouldn't work...and it does....and well! You think your scared of the vette....I'm terrified of actually hitting close to 500hp and trying to use it with the barn door that is my van.....with 165's up front and 18.5's rear with leaf springs.....should be very entertaining.....I suspect I'm going to miss the big stupid slideways fun of my vette.....

#44 ·
Previous owner had it on a scale and says #3647, now that was with a huge stereo, 2 15" subs and amps and sht, he said it had some crap in the back as well, so figure maybe #100 less cause I don't have any of that, so maybe #3500, but then stick my giant *** in it and were right at #3800 .......what's the math to get 3800 pounds into the 11's? Guess I can Google that lol....

#45 ·
550 horses would squeak 3800 pounds into the 11s if all things are perfect.I would aim for 580 hp and make sure the driveline is strong.
If you want the cat to be street able and not totally race oriented,I would build a 540-588 will a roller (hydraulic) and use dart 335s as a base to work with. If you want to stay away from rats,then My next choice would be a twin turbo LS-3.
If you dont want efi,then use your gen 1 with a blow through.Turbos have a very "cool factor" to them.If you use a blower,then make sure its fast or people laugh at you.

example here,350 rat rod/dual AFBs on a 671 best time ever 12.01. Good thing its a rat rod

#46 ·
Mine's kinda a pro street / rat rod sorta deal if I had to classify it. It will always be a "poser" car due to the nature of pro street but even a 12 anything would be a fun driver and pretty neat for what the truck is.....turbo's and blowers and big inch BBC's won't happen in this one I'm sure...I will likely get it somewhat quick, and finish up some minor details with trim and small sht, drive it for the summer and then pedal it to try and buy an early 80's Z ........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.