Looks like Im about to get outta here - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Looks like Im about to get outta here

Well guys, Ya'll know how there are several of us younger guys on this board just looking for a good start to become mechanics and what not? Well....Ive been given a hell of an oppurtunity and Im taking it.

This guy thats giving me the job is a good friend of my dad's, and they do business togather. This guy owns a boat repair shop in Rockport, TX. He wants me to be his new mechanic. He's gonna pay me VERY well, and teach me everything I need to know and help me get my certification.

Bad thing is, Rockport is a 10 hour drive from Wichita Falls

The good thing is, its an entire 10 hour drive away

The guy also does machine work on alot of engines, he used to even build race cars supposedly, and has a couple hotrods he keeps in his shop that belong to a friend of his. The guy is wanting to help me with my truck, and it will be a good learning experience on the right ways to build an engine, and I can get a dealer discount on parts since it is a shop

So for a while, I will be living in a travel trailer on his property, until I get settled and find an apartment or something. So I don't know when I will get the internet back, they said they have found a way to get wireless internet for free......I guess we'll see how that goes.
Just figured Id let you guys know......and make ya'll jealous of my luck

Brad

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Good luck Brad..........you will be back online soon enough....You cant live without us.......

Budget RVs
Old 04-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Excellent news. It's nice to hear you're getting paid well, although I would think that the knowledge you stand to gain would be worth plenty.

Good luck .
Old 04-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Gone fishin'

Yeah, poncho you know me to well. Ill be back on here posting the crap out this forum the first chance I get
And Im definitly excited since I get to learn alot like Jon said. I was planning on going to a tech school and pay them to learn stuff, but instead now I will be getting paid to learn more than that, and get experience at the same time.
Im leaving Friday morning, quit my job at the resturant and been working on everything a ton for the past week, and I don't think Im gonna have enough time to get everything done that needs to be done.

Brad
Old 04-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakBordr7387
Well guys, Ya'll know how there are several of us younger guys on this board just looking for a good start to become mechanics and what not? Well....Ive been given a hell of an oppurtunity and Im taking it.

This guy thats giving me the job is a good friend of my dad's, and they do business togather. This guy owns a boat repair shop in Rockport, TX. He wants me to be his new mechanic. He's gonna pay me VERY well, and teach me everything I need to know and help me get my certification.

Bad thing is, Rockport is a 10 hour drive from Wichita Falls

The good thing is, its an entire 10 hour drive away

The guy also does machine work on alot of engines, he used to even build race cars supposedly, and has a couple hotrods he keeps in his shop that belong to a friend of his. The guy is wanting to help me with my truck, and it will be a good learning experience on the right ways to build an engine, and I can get a dealer discount on parts since it is a shop

So for a while, I will be living in a travel trailer on his property, until I get settled and find an apartment or something. So I don't know when I will get the internet back, they said they have found a way to get wireless internet for free......I guess we'll see how that goes.
Just figured Id let you guys know......and make ya'll jealous of my luck

Brad
Jealous ... oh yeah. Living on the Gulf, Spring Break, fishing / house boats ... experienced engine builder / engine parts at cost, ... all sound pretty good.

Free wireless internet ... yeah that's quite likely. All that you need is someone that lives close by with a wireless router, and will either not notice or will allow you to access it.

Housing prices seem quite reasonable in south Texas from what I have seen. I'd love to be a "winter Texan" when I get a little closer to retirement.

The ONLY thing that would worry me would be hurricane season.

Lucky break for you Brad ... Congrats & Best of Luck.
Don
Old 04-04-2006, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

My Uncle lives down there.. I go about once a year down there and spend the weekend deep sea fishing and to go hang out at North Padre beach.. Maybe I'll swing by your shop next time I'm down there and we can go fishing or something
Old 04-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Gone fishin'

66gmc, Thanks, Their idea for the free wireless internet is alittle more original than that. Somehow they found someone who can turn one of those old TV satellites to pick up internet hotspots from a couple miles away. Im not sure what they are doing exactly, but I guess Ill find out when it works.

Akm, Sounds great man. Let me know when you come down, You'll probably find me fishing somwhere if Im not working on an engine on something.

Brad
Old 04-04-2006, 08:51 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Congrats! It sounds like you are doing the right thing by taking the position. I know I'd jump on it in a heartbeat if I had the chance.

Good luck
Old 04-04-2006, 09:56 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Brad,

Sounds like this could be a great opportunity for you. Hope all goes well.

Dewey
Old 04-04-2006, 10:54 PM

Congatualations, good luck in your future endevors. Ever since I got my DELL laptop computer,Ive been getting free internet,cause its got a wireless modem in it,and I live across the street from a school. Its not totaly free though,I pay taxes that pay for the shcools.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:40 AM

Last photo:

Great opportunity ! You will enjoy the learning , the experiences gained , and the area you are going to .
Rockport is enough out of the way to enjoy and close enough to Corpus Christi to go to see the city . Not to mention the sights on and near Padre Island !
Old 04-05-2006, 02:10 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Brad...you know that dear ole' dad probably just arranged it with this guy just to get you out of the house you freeloader. Set you up in a trailer somewhere and with no internet, no phone, no connection to the outside world.....wait, I saw a movie about that. J/K Good luck and be sure to stay in touch. You can always head to the local library and use their computers to check in.

Kevin
Old 04-05-2006, 04:03 AM

Last photo:

congradulations on the job and opportunity. I hope things go well for you and this guy his company treats mechanics better then many do. But living on the bosses property, I think me personally would be looking for a place pronto. Having worked alot of overtime at one time, I felt like I lived at work and its all I saw, and some days you just don't want to be near the boss, exspecially longer then you have to. Too people can be the best of friends, when you see anyone too much or too long you can get on one anothers nerves. Well least you will not be in the same house as the boss. But then again you are probably are a more adventureous person then I am. I would be nervous as heck starting a new job that far from where I grew up and know.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Gone fishin'

Thanks guys, Im not to nervous living on the boss's property. He already has another good friend of his living in a trailer there already
And I did just remember that I will have somewhat of an internet connection on my cell phone, so maybe my withdrawls won't be to bad

Oh yeah Chet, if your reading this, I already know what your thinking. I leave friday morning, thats your chance.

Brad
Old 04-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Good luck Brad..... The best advice I can give you is this. Don't be afraid to get in over your head (work wise not money wise) jump in with both feet. You will learn the most by your mistakes, keep in mind that the guy you are learning from was once in your shoes. Oh and don't forget to have fun.

Steve

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.