Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Loose FWD shocks and drag racing safety…
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Loose FWD shocks and drag racing safety…

On the poor mans quest for a better 60’ at the drag strip. Currently pulling a 1.46 60’ and my front end has no travel. I can literally grab the bumper and lift up with all my might and it doesn’t budge. Unfortunately I chose a 86 rx-7 chassis(light weight). There are no aftermarket drag shocks available. Running 8-way adjustable AGX shocks in the rear and front. Even on the lowest setting these shocks are very firm.

I decided to leave the factory springs and raise spring height. Then drill the FWD shocks and drain the fluid, then seal the hole. This resulted in a basically useless shock. Pulling up on the bumper by hand gives me a good 2.5-3” of travel now. There is a very slight dampening with the shock dialed to full firm. Still drives like I have no shock at all. Body roll is horrible, and the front end bounces. I did a few short street launches on the t-brake and the front end comes up very nicely now and seems to stay up as long as I’m on the throttle.

So I guess my question is how unsafe is this? I’ve heard of people doing this quite a bit but don’t personally know anyone that has taken a low 10 second (133 trap) car down the track this way?