Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Loose King Pin
Thread: Loose King Pin
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2005, 07:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Loose King Pin

'28 Rod with 4 inch drop tube axle; 49-54 GM spindles.

Was about to drive the rod today when I noticed the passenger side king pin sticking up over an inch above the spindle. Yikes!! How did that happen?!

Inspected both king pins. I have had very little experience with kings pins so I'm not sure what is missing here. They both have thin metal caps on top of the spindle covering the king pins. These are easily removed. On the driver's side bottom, there appears to be some kind of metal cover inside the spindle holding the king pin in place. The passenger side spindle is missing this.

I can tap the passenger side king pin up or down, but can't figure out what kind of snap ring or other device fits top or bottom that prevents the king pin from moving. Obviously the passenger side is missing something as it does not have that fitted metal cap on the bottom of the spindle. When I tried to tap the driver's side spindle up, won't move because of the fitted cap.

Help. I need a quick lesson in king pins and what keeps them in place because the passenger side wants to leave the spindle!