Loose rockers, bad? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2007, 05:41 AM
On the learning curve.

Wiki Edits: 0

Loose rockers, bad?

Hi everyone. Ok my camaro was burnin oil while decaelarating. Most people i talked to and most people on the board told me they figured valve seals and guides. I called a machine shop and asked for a quote and he said before I did that hed rather I change my valve covers to the proper ones and see if that makes a difference. Apperently he just rebuilt an engine with the same problem as mine and it ended up being a problem with the valve covers not haveing the right baffles and being to short etc etc, he made it sound a lot smarter and it made sense.

So I figured why not? If it may somehow save me the money Ill try it. So I pulled off the old covers getting ready to put on the new tall edlebrock ones. Then I noticed that the rockers on some of the valves are loose, some dont move but others you cant grab and shake back and forth and rotate them a degree or two {maybe more}. Is this normal? Should I be changing something while I have the covers off?

Also I noticed that the passenger side head seems to have some mild surface rust on the upper part of the pushrods and the top of the rockers. Nothing serious but I was wondering what it meant?

Last but not least, I will tell you first I do not know what a PCV valve does entirely. I do know that it runs from the valve covers to the carburetor.The guy that was helping me {always nice to have some extra hands} said it routed the gases created inside the valve covers out and back into the engine through the carburetor, it does this because these gases are harmful to the environment. So my question is, if this is true why is the other valve cover venting into the atmoshpere? Wouldnt re-routing bad gases into the engine be a hp robber? Are there any other reasons for the PCV valve? Can I eliminate the PCV valve and put a vent on like the other side?

Thanks alot, if you cant answer all my questions I understand but I would really appreciate it if you could tell me about the rockers as the valve covers are going on tonight. We postponed to see what you guys said about the rockers.

Thanks! Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2007, 05:45 AM
On the learning curve.

Sorry for double posting but I think I made it sound like they arent moving alot, its very easy to move them and rock them side to side {not the way their supposed to} and Im pretty sure you could rotate them alot of the pushrod wasnt stuck in them.

Thanks Steve
Old 04-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

About the PVC. You should have the PVC and a vent on the other side. That way, as the air gets sucked into the carb, more fresh air is let in to replace it....If no vent, negative pressure builds up in there and you suck oil past the rings, valve guides/seals etc.

The loose rockers sound about normal........You can move them side to side a bit.

The rust means it was probably sitting for a while at one time.

Budget RVs
Old 04-14-2007, 06:23 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I agree with poncho's reply, I want to add a couple of comments.
The PCV is probably the first emission control device, it replace the old down draft tubes that used passing air to remove the blow-by gases. If there were no PCV or vents the pressure created would eventually cause the engine to stop running. Its effect on performance is negligible.
I agree about the rockers, some will feel pretty loose, when the valve is closed. If they are not clattering they should be good.
I think your rust may be coming from condensation built up during cold weather driving, typically there is a lot of condensation but it usually gets burnt off as the engine reaches and maintains operating temp. If you have no or too cold of a thermostat, the engine will not warm up properly, and short trip driving where the engine does not get a chance to fully reach and maintain a proper temp can cause the condensation to remain inside of the engine. If you ever notice a white milky foam inside the valve cover, that is it.
I don't buy the valve cover height thing, I agree with others the valve guide seals are shot.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:09 PM
On the learning curve.

Thanks for the replies guys. I knew the PCV had to be there for a reason. As for not buying the valve cover hieght/design problem, I agree with you but if he says thats what happened Ill take his word for it and give it a shot. If its only valve covers then thank god if not I guess Ill be tearing it apart then eh?

Thanks Steve
Old 04-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The height thing is a crock......The baffling thing, I tend to agree with the mechanic. Without the baffles in the valve cover, oil splashing around gets sucked right into the PCV.

Budget RVs
Old 04-14-2007, 01:21 PM
On the learning curve.

I think he refered to the height because it was down that much closer for the oil to slosh up through ya know? Hopefully these take care of my problems! Thanks for your help!

Steve
Old 04-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If the baffles are missing, that is an issue.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:40 AM
On the learning curve.

The baffles arent missing but by the looks of them they wouldnt be holding anything back from going up through them. They might as well be missing. I am going to take the car for a nice drive today and see if changeing the valve covers did anything. I doubt it did but Im praying.

Thanks Steve

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.