Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   loose steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/loose-steering-46978.html)

Slant3 09-03-2004 06:32 PM

loose steering

I seem to have excesive play in my steering wheel . When driving staright at 60 mph, you can turn the wheel left and right(about 10* or so) a bit before you can get some grab. the front springs are shot and the front end bushings look shot too. Can this be a place to start???
Thx

troy-curt 09-03-2004 06:38 PM

Yes

Slant3 09-03-2004 06:56 PM

Thanks Troy. Wasen't positive :thumbup:

bud-23 09-03-2004 10:42 PM

It sounds like you have excessive play in the steering box also.

Slant3 09-04-2004 04:44 AM

How would you go about fixing or checking that (box) or is it a dump and purchase?

THX

troy-curt 09-04-2004 05:35 AM

unlock the steering wheel, open the hood, get hold of the steering column shaft, or have a buddy turn the steering wheel back and forth, taking up all the slack before the wheels start to move, watch the arm coming out of the steering sector, if there is excessive play, there is an adjustment on top of the sector.( Also check the idler arm and tie rod ends at the same time the same way.) There is a locking nut with a allen head stud in the center, loosen the nut and hold it with the wrench and turn the allen in (clock wise) Just go a little at a time. This will only tighten the secter, it will not fix the slack in the worn parts of the front supenshion.

If your not a wrencher, you should take it to a front end shop. at the least they could tell you what all you would need to fix it.

Troy

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

Slant3 09-04-2004 06:18 AM

WTG Troy-----I will look into that today..Wifes going out and I'll have some P&Q for a couple of hours..Should I have the car in the air or is it best to leave the weight on the front end?I will also change the sway bushings and end links today.
THX---Ant.:thumbup:

troy-curt 09-04-2004 06:36 AM

You can do it ether way, on the ground is probably better, as it gives the tires more resistance. You will want to raise it to do your repairs thou.:thumbup:

Troy

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

bud-23 09-04-2004 07:53 AM

Do exactly as Troy said. The steering box can be adjusted to a point. You DO NOT want to go OVER CENTER on the worm gear.

Slant3 09-04-2004 08:36 AM

Thank you Bud and Troy...I will do it today..I will let you know how it goes...:P