loose steering issue - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 04:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

loose steering issue

Hey guys I have a 75 chev 3/4 ton 4x4 that I am trying to get the loose steering taken care of on. So far I have done all new tie rod ends, center link, drag link, shocks, ball joints upper and lower, sway bar bushings. The only thing that was not totally brand new was the steering box, but it had been rebuild a year before and used for a short while. Before I put the steering box on I checked it and when I would move the steering shaft the pitman arm shaft moved immediatly so I think its in really good shape. The steering is much better than it was but I still have some slop in it about 1 1/2" to either side of the wheel, it has also been aligned after each thing was done to it. Drives good but going down hill at 50MPH on a back road can be scary if the road has any bumps or any slant to it. Just wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion of what else I can check or replace would really like to be able to let the gf drive it, but no way if I am not 100% comfortable with it at all times. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 PM

Is your truck lifted at all?If it is are you running any kind of steering stadalizers?I was always told that any tire over a 36" or with a lift of 4" or greater you should run a dual stadalizer shock.Also tire wear and unbalanced on larger tires can cause this problem.A friend of mine had a similar issue and the problem was the joints going from the pitman arm to the steering arm. hope so of this helps
Old 02-05-2011, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

yea has a 2" lift, I filled all the tie rod ends with great and drag link also, adjusted my box a little tighter. It helped some, but I don't know if it is unrealistic to take all the play out of this truck?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Check the steering box mounting areas for cracks

these 73-87 trucks are notorious for for the frame cracking at the steering box
Old 02-06-2011, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

Yea I did no cracks, its all the shaft has a good little play to it. Should I just keep tightening it until its gone? This box was rebuilt a year back bought it used, should I just get a brand new one?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:20 AM

This might help. "Newer" Carmeros (sp?) have a quicker ratio steering box. It might take up the slack a lot quicker. You'd have to do a little research. I think all the guys selling the quick ratio boxes use the same gear ratio. You'd have to do a little research, but I'd think it would be one from the mid-70s up through the 80s? I don't know Carmaros.

This is going to sound really weird, but remove your steering damper/s and see how it drives. You may laugh, but it fixed my wandering '04 Dodge ram until I installed a new damper.

Good Luck.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:26 PM

Last photo:

Just put a new dampner on it though?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 PM

All I know is this-truck was wandering and just wasn't tracking like it did when it was new. It only had 38,000 miles on it and the balljoints were good, as well as the rest of the suspension. I removed the damper and drove it just for fun. It tracked great. Put a new damper on it and it was back to like new.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

I think all the looseness is before the dampner, I will just put on a brand new box on the thing and if that doesn't fix it I will just say forget it.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.