loosen a seized motor - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 06:00 PM
SB S10

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i think it would best to use a crank turning nut, and try turning it backwards after oiling the cylinders with penetrating oil.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2007, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

My 56 Ford engine was stuck when I got it back.I really don,t know how many years it had been sitting.It was a rebuilt engine when parked.
I pulled the plugs out and filled the cylinders with some trans fluid I had sitting around that I had not used.I also poured some down the intake.
I let it set a day and tried to turn it with a breaker bar on the crank bolt(not enough pressure to bend a rod).
On the second day I could rock the engine back and forth a little.By the third day it turned over.
Be sure and turn it over with the starter with the plugs out to get all the fluid out of the cylinders,you could bend a rod.
After fileing the points it fired right up.I think your engine will be fine.Just take your time and let the oil and whatever fluid you use do it,s job.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:20 PM

Last photo:

stuck 302

first step is back off all the rockers, fords bad for valves sticking,if it still wont turn then pull plugs and put light oil in each cyl, leave for a day or 2. if valves are stuck wd 40 on the stems and tap the valve lightlywith luck the valve will start to move, keep taping until full travel. (this is with rockers removed
0 good luck cliff
Old 12-28-2007, 12:28 AM

Last journal entry: my first project
Last photo:

seized motor

the car is an automatic and thanks for all the info and also what all would i need to do to put a small block chevy in the fairlane besides engine mounts and tranny
Old 12-28-2007, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

stuck fairlain

putting a sb c in is rather foolish there are plenty of used 302s around and they are every bit as dependable as sbcs, cliff
Old 12-28-2007, 01:26 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff tate
putting a sb c in is rather foolish there are plenty of used 302s around and they are every bit as dependable as sbcs, cliff
i agree on putting a sbc in, a chevy should be in a chevy and a ford in a ford. i dont agree on ford being as dependable.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:43 PM

Seized motor

Years ago, I bought a motor from a junk yard, installed it in the car, only to find that it was seized up. I called the junk yard and the man told me to pour household ammonia into each cylinder and leave it overnight. I didn't believe it would work but did it anyway just so I could take the motor back the next day and say that I had tried. Surprisingly, it worked.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Try diesel fuel. It's a good 'oily solvent' and if your rings are stuck I'm sure it'll penetrate and loosen. Test it on some nasty crud to see how good it works.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Mekanicus Automotive Group

Last photo:

How to un-freeze a frozen engine

This worked with a 1924 Model T I had a few years back.
The car had been sitting under a tree for many years, and never ran.
So I cracked the plugs out, and filled each cylinder with Marvel Mystery oil as previously suggested, put the plugs back in, and let the thing sit for a month or so.
When I got back to it, pulled the plugs and sent it through by hand with the hand-crank. Then put a new set of plugs in it, poured gas down it's throat, advanced the spark, and sent it through again. And it fired. Not well, mind you, but it fired.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79C10
Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder.
'Bout a shot glass worth. Let it sit for a day. Use the flywheel/prybar trick to gently 'bump' it. If it doesn't work the first day , leave it for one more and try it again. This trick was taught to me by an old friend , and has 'saved' 2 motors for me , so far.

I agree - Marvel Mystery is the best thing to use in this situation
Old 12-29-2007, 07:54 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I use knocker loose by k&w. I took the spark plugs out of a locked up 1950 Pontiac flathead straight eight. I sprayed a bunch in each cylinder once a week for 3 weeks. I sprayed some more the 4th week and put some spark to it, hit the starter and it lit off.(smoked a little) I let it get hot and sprayed some more in each cylinder to see if it would free up the rings. Lit it off again and in 20 minutes no more smoke. IT WORKED GREAT. Let me add that was 16 years ago with no problems at all.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:18 PM

Last photo:

I agree with the oil in the cylinder thing and gently rocking it back and forth. It's probably stuck rings. My son had a 64 1/2 Mustang with a 260 V8 in it and it had been sitting for about 15 years. The oil in the cylinders didn't work so I took the heads off and worked with it from there. I finally got it loose, cleaned up the cylinder walls and put it back together. It ran good, didn't smoke and didn't use a whole lot of oil. I know it should have been rebuilt since the heads were already off but he couldn't afford it.

Danny
Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 PM

I use any type of oil handy, let it sit a week, and as has been said the best way to free it is pull your starter and pry with a large screwdriver or a pry bar on the flywheel teeth.

Caution though if it's stuck too tight you can get enough leverage to crack a piston this way.. Been there done that on a motor that had rain water standing in the cylinders for about a year on an old farmall tractor 4 banger.

Funny part was it ran with that cracked piston, totally cracked in two across the piston head for years mowing and grading and never grenaded. The rings on that cylinder cracked as well but far enough on either side of the piston crack that it all held together. I did get a little piece of piston skirt out of the oil pan right after I unstuck it, figured as it was free I'd just run it till it died. Ten years later, just last year, I resleeved/pistoned it and saved the piston for a shop ornament.

The other thing to watch for in stuck motors is stuck valves, they will stick in the valve guides a lot of times leaving a few valves stuck open, this will let the pushrod fall out from under the rocker arm. You might want to take the valve covers off if you get it fired and make sure the valves are free too.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:16 AM

Stuck engine

Thanks for all the advice. I had sossme thoughts along thos lines, but it's nic to have a reaffirmation on my thoughts. Thanx. Floyd

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.