loosing alignment shims - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

loosing alignment shims

in march i replaced all my control arm bushings bought 4 new tires and had it aligned in may i was getting a popping noise from the front end when hitting the breaks and it would pull to the left the shims fell out... happened again in june.... and again now i really dont want to have this thing aligned every 2 to 3 months its expensive any ideas why they keep falling out.... also it was a different alignment shop that did them this last time as they fell out in Nashville TN and i live in Alabama. is it something wrong with the bolts keep making them loosen up... looking for ideas here please help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 10:23 PM

lost shims

Is this a lowered vehicle by chance ?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classiccruiser
Is this a lowered vehicle by chance ?
nope factory ride height its a 1970 pontiac catalina... only the driver side that they are falling out of had one actually gave me a flat had to replace the tire..
Old 08-24-2010, 10:45 PM

Shims

If the car was ever in a wreck , it is possible that that side of the car has a excessive amount of shims in it to correct alignment, thus , when on a bumpy road or pothole is hit , the shims either loosen up or fall out....Without going thru the whole process of checking frame and such , figure out how many shims are on that side your having troubles with , if it is alot , then you may have to remove some of the shims...lets say 3/8" worth of shims... and then replace those with a (1) piece Solid Spacer..3/8" wide drilled to slide over snugly....that cuts down on the loose flex on excessive shimmed vehicles....had a 78 chevytruck i had to do that with , that was lowered..worked great for many years...
good luck
Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classiccruiser
If the car was ever in a wreck , it is possible that that side of the car has a excessive amount of shims in it to correct alignment, thus , when on a bumpy road or pothole is hit , the shims either loosen up or fall out....Without going thru the whole process of checking frame and such , figure out how many shims are on that side your having troubles with , if it is alot , then you may have to remove some of the shims...lets say 3/8" worth of shims... and then replace those with a (1) piece Solid Spacer..3/8" wide drilled to slide over snugly....that cuts down on the loose flex on excessive shimmed vehicles....had a 78 chevytruck i had to do that with , that was lowered..worked great for many years...
good luck
i know it has been wrecked 3 shims on each bolt 2 thick ones and one thinner other side is the same though i had a power stearing leak above it im sure the excessive lube isnt helping either
Old 08-24-2010, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

didn't do it before the work had the car 4 years before that i beleave the alignment shop only added 1/16th what it was before maybe 1/32
Old 08-25-2010, 12:31 AM
More for Less Racer

Sounds like the self locking crimp nuts on the studs no longer hold their position, time for new nuts. Should be torqued up tight enough they can't come loose anyway though.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
It is very hard to tighten those nuts sometimes, I would say replace the nuts and be sure they are TIGHT!

Brian
Old 08-25-2010, 11:32 AM

Last photo:

ok so i took it had it aligned again then went to tractor supply bought 2 extra nuts and installed them behind the originals with locktight hopefully this works
Old 08-25-2010, 02:02 PM
More for Less Racer

Another smart move would be to measure and record the thickness of the shim, that way if they are lost again you don't have to head to the alignment shop, just replace them again with the same thickness stack.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.