Lost - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2004, 03:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Lost

I've got a 76 chevy nova and I have the chance to get a 12 bolt pos. I got told it was out of a 65 impala. What I want to Know is will it work with out a lot of mods. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

Well, I'd have to think the widths would be way off...
But, your bigger problem is the Nova is leaf spring and the Impala is coil spring. Just making some sort of perch for the spring requires welding!
Would something from a late 70s Camaro fit?
Old 02-26-2004, 04:23 PM

yes & no iI've been told some say that camaros and novas the same width .
But then some say that the camaro is wider. Plus this ones free. lol. Then is there any way to change the gears and locker? Sorry lost when it comes to rear ends.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

A good rear end shop could modify it, but it would cost a small fortune. What rear end is in your car now? '68-'79 Nova (& clone) rear ends are the same width, as are '67-'67 Camaro & Firebird units (later than '69 are too wide). The '73-'79's all had multi-leaf springs, but most older ones were single-leaf, which used a different height spring perch. 8.5" rears usually need a slightly shorter driveshaft than the others. Here's how to tell if yours is 8.5" (strong), or 7.5" (not so strong):

http://malibunorth.freeservers.com/RearID.html
Old 02-27-2004, 03:54 AM

Last photo:

If the 12 bolt is a 65 Impala unit, it is 4 inches wider (flange to flange) than your Nova rear.

The 8.5-inch 10 bolt in your Nova is nearly as strong as a 12 bolt. If the 65 Impala 12 bolt is yours for the taking, I would get it and sell it, and use the proceeds to buy a good posi and gears for your 10 bolt. With the prices that 12 bolts bring, I would think you could get $500 to $1000 for it, and that is more than enough to build the 10 bolt in your car.

Eric

Okay, I just checked and 1976 was the first year that could have had a 7.5 inch 10 bolt OR an 8.5 inch 10 bolt. Only cars with a 350 got the bigger rear (??).

If your rear has squared-off lugs at the base of the housing under the cover, it's an 8.5. If it has pointy lugs, it's a 7.5. Here's pictures and info.

http://www.geocities.com/forgottennovas/axle.htm

I still say get the 12 bolt and sell it. If you have a 7.5-inch 10 bolt, use the cash to get an 8.5.

Eric

Last edited by EricTopless68 Camaro; 02-27-2004 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:06 AM

Last photo:

I think the 305 was the only Nova V8 that used the 7.5", & only for that one year. My '78 w/305 came with the 8.5".
Old 03-01-2004, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

Easy

Some times the easiest solutions are the hardest to see. You can take most cars to the junk yard and ask them to make the mods for you. Example. For $500 (yes, your is free) I had the yard man change rear gears and add a limited slip (Eaton) to my 55 pickup. I did not have to relocate anything. My time is worth money. Oh, and did I mention that they did all the work. I just dropped it off and went back and drove it home. Two days of wrenching is fun, five days is work.

hr41pearl

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.