Hot Rod Forum banner

Lost in the '70's Vega

10K views 85 replies 19 participants last post by  whinny 
#1 ·
This thing is hilarious! It is pure seventies from front bumper to the rear. Check out the etched glass, the gold leafing on the quarters. It has a perfect interior without a tear in it's velvet seats. An eight track! Oh yeah, and an aftermarket pop open sun roof! Oh hell yes this thing is solid! I am thinking it's going to be Nicks tomorrow. It's just too damn nice, it's odd, and paint failure all over, but damn it's solid!

Brian

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Dave57210
#46 ·
What Eric said is correct. The early Vega ('71 - 75) had the small non-vented disc brakes in front, and the tiny 6.5 inch rear diff. The '75 Cosworth got the larger vented discs up front and the 7.5 inch rear diff. The link that Eric posted is a great resource for info and parts. Keep in mind that the ball joint adapter sleeves require the use of the larger Monza lower ball joints, which are getting harder to find also. With that said, I do have a set of the adapter sleeves that I will not be using if you are interested.

Dave

#47 ·
Thanks guys! This rear diff seems a hell of a lot bigger than 6.5"!

I have to make up my mind on this thing, I am hesitant because I don't think he needs another project, a driver is what I am after. I am just concerned this will need more work. I am leaning towards it though.

Brian

#48 ·
Well I went with cash in hand to buy this car tonight. I was dying to follow Nick home, him driving his first car for the first time. No such luck, I drove it, it has a bunch of problems and we do not need another project like that. The tranny slipped, it had a shift kit that shifted at about 40 into to second! Nope, that isn't going to work. The brakes were gone, I couldn't even let him drive it home. Nope, we have to look elsewhere.

Brian

#51 ·
It was hard to say no and walk away with Nick that is for sure, but he got over it pretty quick. He knows I want what's best for him.

He has probably heard me tell my story enough times to give me the respect on something like this.

The story goes:

There was a kid in the neighborhood back 30 years ago who would come to my shop and hang out. One time he was telling me how his parents didn't like his girl friend and it was ticking him off,he was about 17 at the time.
I said, have you seen photos of you when you were a baby with your parents? He said yes, I asked him, do you think they wanted to see you happy? Of course is the answer, there is nothing in the world more important to a parent than to see their child happy, be it a baby or be it a 20 year old.

Your parents want to see you happy, not sad, they see something you don't with your girl friend, listen to them.

He saw things different and listened. :D Nick knows how I will go pretty far to see him happy. It's like I told him, that money would have meant nothing to see your smiling facing driving your first car home today. It was so funky I couldn't let you drive it, I would have drove it, that's not right.

He is now looking at ways to make that Falcon "cool". LOL

Brian

#54 ·
He is now looking at ways to make that Falcon "cool". LOL

Brian
Quickest way to accomplish that is, remove the Blue ovals and replace them with Blue Bowties and Chevy powertrain...:p..:D..
[/url]

Seriously, and don't ANYONE quote me on this, BUT I do like the '65 Comet and Caliente's too......sheese that was hard to spit out...:pain:

#66 ·
I like the Falcons and Comets much better than the Mustangs. Suspension parts are the same for the most part. Brian, looks like a 63? I had a 64 Comet when I was a kid, still my favorite car I owned as a kid. There were 27 cars for me by the time I hit 22 years old. Sis had a 64 Falcon Sprint, it was quicker than the Stangs in the area. Nicks' a lucky guy to have a Dad that is watching out for his best interests, my Dad would let me learn those lessons the hard way...lol. And many a lesson I learned. Probably why I still dislike the flathead, I couldn't rebuild them in the driveway. Hope to be in your area in a few weeks. I'll give you a holler, lunch on me. and the state...lol.

#67 ·
I figure if I tell him enough about why we don't want it and discuss it with him it will help without the pain of the mistake. :D

I am buying it for him, for graduating high school (this was VERY tough for him) and I just want to be sure it's not another pain, but a positive thing.

Brian

Reactions: John long
#71 ·
That looks to me to be a 60-61 going by the grille and bumper.
Have never seen one with the chrome on the front of the fenders and hood tho.

But you guys down there do some strange things, steering wheel on the wrong side:D and I have also noticed some of the cars down there do not keep up with the USA counterparts in the interior dept. (66 Chevelles with a reversed 65 dash:confused:)

#75 ·
part no's

When I was an engineer at Ford I had most to the part numbers For the early mustangs , interior trim, brakes, electrical. memorized. Four 2 inch thick books, and most of the time one of the line engineers would come into my office with a part and I could tell him what the part number was, what the latest engineering change was, and what the assembly sheet number was and some times what the tooling numbers were.

#84 ·
We didn't buy it, we got the Falcon instead. But that Vega is still available if you want it. It was cool in many ways, it's a toss up if I did better or not with the Falcon. Either would have worked out.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.