Lost on custom windshield 54 chev pu - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 08:53 AM

Last journal entry: The death of Blue
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 17

Lost on custom windshield 54 chev pu

54 chev pu with 4 inch chop. Windshield is cracked vertically in 2 places. Finally found a shop with a waterjet, but it is a countertop company pimping the waterjet on the side, so they have no suggestions obviously. The question is, it's a one piece curved windshield, and I have no idea where to start to find a donor windshield. Is there a specific spec on the curvature, or will any ole windshield do from the junkyard? Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTOY
54 chev pu with 4 inch chop. Windshield is cracked vertically in 2 places. Finally found a shop with a waterjet, but it is a countertop company pimping the waterjet on the side, so they have no suggestions obviously. The question is, it's a one piece curved windshield, and I have no idea where to start to find a donor windshield. Is there a specific spec on the curvature, or will any ole windshield do from the junkyard? Thanks!
There is absolutely without a doubt no "donor" windshield for your chopped truck. You are going to need to get a new glass (they are readily available) and have it cut. A good glass man can cut it easily being it has so little curve, a second series 55 up, that is a whole different story but yours is very doable.

With yours this shouldn't be that big of a deal but it's always good to get the glass cut and me sure it fits before doing any finsh work on the chop, with a more complex glass (like the before mentioned 55 and up) you need to make the roof fit the glass.

Did you chop it or did you buy it that way? Are the posts laid back or was the roof lengthened?

Brian
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

It was chopped when I bought it. Not sure which method they used. Where do I start looking for a new glass? New to windshields, at least custom cut ones.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTOY
It was chopped when I bought it. Not sure which method they used. Where do I start looking for a new glass? New to windshields, at least custom cut ones.
I just looked at your journal photos and the roof is lengthened. You need to do some google searches in your area for glass shops or custom car shops to start your windshield project. This is a real hard one to do without being hands on. If your glass does fit and is simply broken you are one up in that you have a pattern.

Brian
Old 01-12-2012, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

It still fits and is one piece, so that's a plus. I did a cursory search and found nothing close. Guess I'll have to dig in and really look to find a place. Thanks!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.