Hot Rod Forum banner

Lost my mind with SPI 2K

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
I screwed up! Big time. Maybe!!

I mixed regular SPI 2K at a 2:1 ratio rather than 4:1. Besides wasting activator, and killing all the local wildlife with the overspray, what will be the effect of this lapse in memory. Or did I just waste activator, and there wont be a problem (I hope). It has laid out beautifully, appears to have dried nicely, but.... :embarrass :embarrass :embarrass

Dave :pain:

#4 ·
Unwritten expletives !!!! :( :embarrass

I guess I know what I'm doing this morning - :sweat: :pain: :sweat: thanks Barry. Had to go get some more sand paper anyhow.At least it was only the two splash shields and the firewall.
(My wife thinks the 2K smells like bubble gum !!)

Mike - its all a part of the fun !!

Dave

#5 ·
It may smell like bubble gum, but don't know if you want to be sniffing it. LOL.
Least you messed up on only some parts. Maybe it will prevent you from lapse of memory as you do larger area, so could maybe be a good thing. Making mistakes means your learning or attending the school of hard knocks. You just hope you don't make the same one multiple times.

#6 ·
kenseth17 said:
It may smell like bubble gum, but don't know if you want to be sniffing it. LOL.
Least you messed up on only some parts. Maybe it will prevent you from lapse of memory as you do larger area, so could maybe be a good thing. Making mistakes means your learning or attending the school of hard knocks. You just hope you don't make the same one multiple times.
Maybe I had a whiff of this stuff when I mixed it and it clouded my mind - not that a bit of iso-laden 2K activator could change my normal cloud cover. Would be tough in my TYVEK bunny suit and fresh air system with hood tho.

{Just a note for you big folks, TYVEK's XL is really too small for me at 6'4"/200+/-#. I just ordered some 2X suits}

Barry and I had a good conversation this morning beyond his post about the situation and what to do with my problem areas. (I wonder who I could have talked to if I had screwed up my $$$$ DuPont BC/CC :pain: )

Thanks again, Barry :thumbup:

Dave

#7 ·
My educated answer to your question.... Probably no one.. at least not with that knowledge base... Odds would be you'd get someone to fax you a p-sheet. and tell you that you mixed it wrong..

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but it could have been much worse. You could have to sand the whole car down, if you sprayed it on everything that way.

#8 ·
(I wonder who I could have talked to if I had screwed up my $$$$ DuPont BC/CC :pain: )

Dave[/QUOTE]
------------------------------------------------------------
I bet I average 3-5 calls a week from people that had a screwup with PPG, Dupont and its not a problem I will help if I can.

Its kinda entertaining to me as I had a call a week ago from a guy up north that his rare 62 vette developed problems a week after he got it back from the dealer that stripped and repainted. The reasons the PPG rep came up with just blew my mind.
After 90 minutes of discussion I think he realized you do not take a corvette to a Chevy dealer for a Restoration.

#9 ·
Just an idea for you, but, if you have a problem sanding that oops. Try wet sanding it with a little dish-soap in the water. I was given this tid-bit by an old fellow painter. It really does help to keep the "sticky stuff" from bogging up the paper.

I mixed some Sikkens "sanding" sealer hardener in some "non-sanding" sealer one time. WHooo! That stuff freaked out! It took getting half-way across the hood before it started to catch my eye. "That is definitely not laying right!" :p

Anyway, Remember it's just paint (or a component of it)! Think about how great you are at things, when you've already done them before. :thumbup:

#10 ·
Its kinda entertaining to me as I had a call a week ago from a guy up north that his rare 62 vette developed problems a week after he got it back from the dealer that stripped and repainted. The reasons the PPG rep came up with just blew my mind.
After 90 minutes of discussion I think he realized you do not take a corvette to a Chevy dealer for a Restoration.
Bless the troops... ... and oh yah, Lord, ... Please don't let any dealerships do "restorations"! :(

#11 ·
BarryK said:
(I wonder who I could have talked to if I had screwed up my $$$$ DuPont BC/CC :pain: )
Dave
------------------------------------------------------------
I bet I average 3-5 calls a week from people that had a screwup with PPG, Dupont and its not a problem I will help if I can.
[/QUOTE]

Barry,
I figured you could help - but I just hope you didn't multiply your "other" manufacturerers calls too much by this admission :sweat: !!!

I hope our next call is to just pass the time of day. :D

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.