Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - lost oil pressure
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg View Post
What is wrong with a Fram filter. I have used them with no problems. I have a GMC so I am back to AC Delco.
You need to do a cutaway comparison for yourself.

There are tons of comparison being done by people on you-tube ... but most of them are being filmed extremely biased and downright immature know-nothings! ( even some guy urinating on Fram and/or using them for target practice. *Real* convincing!)

Know what you're comparing ... the anatomy and compsition.
There was a guy saying that NAPA Silver and NAPA Gold were pretty much identical ... other than the "color of the valve" and the number of pleats (45 versus 54 in the samples he compared)

The "color" is significant. The red silicone valve remains flexible under the conditions (heat and exposure to motor oil and contaminants) that cause the black rubber valve to harden and eventually lead to filter bypass. This typically occurs in the range of 5,000 km (3,000 miles) whereas the silicone valve filters would extens this to 8,000 km (5,000 mi) +

# of pleats ... 54 is 20% more than 45.
There may be differences in the quality of the media as well.
paper vs synthetic media?

NAPA has recently released a "Platinum" filter that is designed to be used with synthetic oil AND extended drain intervals.

So ... spend $1.99 on a Fram if you like, but educate yourself to the advantages of premium brands.