Originally Posted by helrazr3
maybe i should just start another thread
OK... sorry for the thread drift.
Looking at your lifters, it appears obvious that you have some premature wear. Those "bullseyes" are what you would expect to see on a high-mileage engine.
That being said ... is there enough wear there to cause the iron powder that you described earlier? I doubt it. Have another look at the pic that I posted earler. The damage was very obvious, and there was a fair amount of debris in the bottom of the pan. Luckily, I could find no evidence to suugest that it had been picked up by the pump, and the bearings were clean.
Take some pics of the cam lobes, down through the lifter bores.
As far as pre-lubing ... yes, I have learned just how vital that is!
A 1/4" cordless drill just doesn't cut it!
The notion of "it stalled the drill, so it will have pressure as soon as the engines fires
" is a fallicy as well.
During "round 2", I used a 3/8" air drill on the correct oil pump primer tool. It was just barely up to the task with 125 PSI in the tank. I had to run that drill for SEVERAL minutes before I had oil coming out of all of the pushrods.
I squirted liberal amounts of Lucas Assembly Lube on the cam lobes, lifters, pushrods, rocker arms ... everywhere, with the 'trickle down' thought in mind.
I also used a full bottle of Comp Cams #159 Break-in Additive. The results, as near as I can tell, were sucessful this time.
My plan, going forward, is to continue using a couple ounces of this additive with every oil change, in order to "bolster" the ZDDP content.